Nov 1, 2016

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by MizB of Books and Beat

Here are the rules:

1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc


This teaser totally took me by surprise! Read on if you dare!! ;)

 

"'Everybody poops, Rhys. There's even a book about it.'" p 50
















TITLE: Blood and Salt
AUTHOR: Kim Liggett
PUBLISHER: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
GENRE: Horror YA
RELEASE DATE: September 22, 2015


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.



This week's topic is: Top Ten Books To Read If Your Book Club Likes FAIRYTALE RETELLING Reads!


*in no particular order




10. CRUEL BEAUTY by Rosamund Hodge--I really enjoyed Rosamund's take on Beauty and the Beast! It was refreshing and yet, still contained threads of the classic tale (and movie) we all know and love!
9. NOCTURNE by Syrie James--I call this a Beauty and the Beast retelling as well! But it's for adult!! And the beast is a vampire!! It was one of the most beautiful books I ever read and it still haunts me when I think about it and B&tB retellings!
8. A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES by Sarah J. Maas--because how can I NOT include it! And yes...I STILL need to read the sequel!! SOO BEHIND!


7. TIGER LILY by Jodi Lynn Anderson--one of the most unique and wonderful Peter Pan retellings I've read! It's not 100% magical in the magic sense, but it's truly magical in its unique telling! And while Tiger Lily is more our main character here, the story is actually told by Tinkerbell!!
6. UNHOOKED by Lisa Maxwell--another amazing Peter Pan "retelling" but not a straight up retelling. It's got all the characters you think you know, but they will surprise you and I loved it! Plus I was totally imagining Colin O'Donoghue as Captain Hook in this one. *Swoons*
5. THE WRATH AND THE DAWN by Renee Ahdieh--another duology I still need to finish! Soon. I hope! But this is a Thousand and One Nights (I believe that's the title, unless there's a "a" or "the" in front, I can't quite remember...) retelling and it was sooo good! So different and yet rich and beautifully told!


4. PRINCESS OF THORNS by Stacy Jay--another unique retelling, this time of Sleeping Beauty! Sleeping Beauty isn't at all what you would expect! I quite enjoyed this one. Was sad to hear a sequel wouldn't be happening after a failed Kickstarter run went terribly wrong.
3. STRANDS OF BRONZE AND GOLD by Jane Nickerson--this one was awesome!! And guess the retelling? It's BLUEBEARD! It's no secret or surprise as that's the first line in the description. Yet the story was still full of surprises and whatnot! I loved this one!
2. SNOW by Tracy Lynn--this! This is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE fairytale retellings ever!! It's an older series called Once Upon a Time, which is basically fairytales retold. But not necessarily modernized, just retold in a different way or atmosphere. This was my favorite out of all the ones I read. Which was a little under half, because apparently the series kept going long after I thought it ended. A lot of you already read this author, Liz Braswell. But while her Disney retold stories don't seem to live up to our expectations, I will tell you that this one was freaking incredible! I read it as a teen and I had to have read it at least 5 times or so! It was just that good!! And having the heroine share my name in no way effects my opinion of the story...much. Okay, just a smidge! ;)


THE ONE (AMONG MANY) I NEED TO READ:


1. The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury--an Aladdin retelling with a female genie! I have heard amazing things about this one and I sooo cannot wait to read it!





21 comments:

  1. Great list! I'm always looking for good fairy tale retellings and I haven't read any of these. I do own A Court of Thorns and Roses though and I'm planing on reading it in the next month or so.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. The teaser made me giggle. Loved your list, sadly I have read none of those book. A Court of Thorn and Rose is in my TBR pile.

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got some good looking books and I always like a chuckle first thing in the morning. Great tease. :-)
    sherry @ My TT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read any of these. Thanks for this list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh* Reading through that list has just busted my book budget for the next couple of months - and I'm supposed to be saving up for Christmas and birthday presents! Thank you for sharing... I think.
    I also like your TT quote - and it would have the grandchildren howling with laughter:). Here's my fabulous fantasy read...
    https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/11/01/teaser-tuesday-1st-november-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Top Ten for obvious reasons. I'm reading The Forbidden Wish now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love retellings! The Wrath and the Dawn is my favorite from your list. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good teaser -- made me laugh. And great TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cruel Beauty looks good...great teaser too! lol Here is my TT
    https://cynthia2729.wordpress.com/2016/11/01/teaser-tuesday-nov-1-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Nocturne years ago and never even realized it was a retelling. I grabbed it because I was going through a vampire phase. Wonderful list and I will have to check a few of these out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! This was almost my topic today so I'm glad I didn't do it! I totally agree with several of these! I still have Nocturne on my TBR from the last time you recommended it! Great list :D

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome list! I really need to read some more fairy tale retellings of these books!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! We have a couple of "poop" books in our elementary media center. For this week's teaser, I chose Chasing Impossible by Katie McGarry. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ones on this list that I haven't already read are now on my TBR :) I think Nocturne will be the first of the "newbies" that I read.

    Mel @ Reviews In A Pinch

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love retellings but there's quite a few here I haven't read so thank you for all the lovely recs :) I really need to read Cruel Beauty soon.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great picks for this weeks topic. I love fairytale retellings and you have chosen some of my absolute favourites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh great list! I love retellings, many of these I've already read or are on my to-read list, and I'm adding the rest!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun teaser. And there is a book about poop. I just read and reviewed one called, Poop! LOL For real:)

    My TT from Something Deadly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, the sassiness in that teaser! I love it!

    Sam @ Paper Cuts

    My Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG big yes to Cruel Beauty and ACOTAR! I love both of those! And there are so many books on this list I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha! Funny tease!
    And yes! Must read A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES! Love that series!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!