Respect the Legend. Idolize the Prodigy. Celebrate the Champion. But never underestimate the Rebel in this electrifying graphic novel adaptation of the Legend series's grand finale.
Eden Wing is a brilliant student. He’s about to graduate a year early from Ross University of the Sciences. But most people don’t introduce Eden this way. Instead, they say, “This is Eden, Daniel Wing’s younger brother.”
Ten years ago, Daniel was known as Day, the boy who led a revolution that saved the Republic of America. Day has since spent the past decade piecing together his memory of his time in the Republic, quietly hiding from the world―even if it’s meant giving up June, the love of his life.
When June suddenly steps back into Day’s life, rekindling the flames of their romance, the pair team up to rescue Eden who’s been drawn into Ross City’s dark side. But like the rest of the world, they may have underestimated Eden―what he’s capable of, where his loyalties lie, and how hard he’s willing to fight for what he believes.
Return to the world of Legend in this epic graphic novel adaptation of the pulse-pounding finale to the series, which brings to life the bestselling Rebel with full-color illustrations.
I didn't think I'd have time to read the next novella of the last series, so I hopped over to Rebel: The Graphic Novel by Marie Lu, adapted by Kyla Vanderklugt and illustrated by Kaari and it was such a fun and quick read! I loved the Legend novels and I remember Rebel coming out as a surprise, so I was equally surprised and delighted when it got the graphic novel treatment too!
Since it's been a few years since I read Rebel, I couldn't quite remember the story all that well. I just remembered it had some more focus on Eden, Daniel's brother. We do still get that vibe and we still get to keep up with Daniel (Day) and June too! The switching of point of views feels different in a graphic novel as there's no chapter header, you just suddenly see a different character in the panels. Whether you want to say it's easier or harder is up to you. I felt like it was pretty easy, but I am not a savvy graphic novel or comic reader.
I did enjoy coming back to this dystopic world again! It was a finely crafted world and Marie's talents truly shine! Of course, we have to thank Kaari for these gorgeous illustrations as well because they are beautiful. I love the style of the characters, how it's not too sharp or too soft, but that right kind of blend! And then Vanderklugt's adaptation is amazing. I mean, you take a 300+ page novel and turn it into a 200 page graphic novel and never lose the feeling of the story itself. That's wicked talented!
I love reading graphic novels of novels I previously read. One might call it "redundant" but I don't see it that way. You're reading it in a new form and seeing the story in a new light, quite literally too!
Rebel was a fast paced read that kept me turning the pages and roving over the panels as fast as I could as I really didn't remember the story from the first time around, so I was eager to see how things would turn out. I love that we got to see more of Eden and let his story shine through, while also offering us longtime fans more time with Day and June! This was a phenomenal read and I just loved it!
Overall Rating 5/5 stars


No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!