Jan 21, 2011

Review--Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

A SACRED OATH, A FALLEN ANGEL, A FORBIDDEN LOVE

When Nora and Patch are forced together as lab partners, Nora would rather fall to her death than put up with his elusive answers to her questions, his teasing, and his infuriatingly handsome face and hypnotizing eyes. It seems Patch was put on earth just to drive her crazy.

But before long, Nora's defenses start to break down as her curiosity about Patch heats up. Why does he always seem to be wherever she is and know exactly what she's thinking? How does he know what to say to both attract and repulse her? And what it up with those V-shaped scars on his chiseled back?

As their connection grows stronger, Nora's own life becomes increasingly fragile. Nora needs to decide: Is Patch the one who wants to do her harm or the one who will keep her safe? Has she fallen for one of the fallen?

Becca Fitzpatrick's New York Times bestselling debut it a page-turning leap into the unknown world of fallen angels. Do you have someone to catch you?

Another 1 day read! For awhile I've been hearing good things about Becca Fitzpatrick's debut, Hush Hush, and the wait for Crescendo, so I added Hush Hush to my birthday list and got it and just now read it. And all I have to say is wow! I've been lucky by reading nothing but GREAT books lately and Hush Hush is just another one to add to the list.

It's really no secret that this is a book about angels, fallen angels. The cover and BOC description tell you that much. But it does take awhile for Nora to realize this. So for awhile it seems to be a normal teen book, albeit with the weirdness Nora sees in Patch.

I kind of liked the beginning of their relationship. What really made it funny was that they were partners in biology...for the sex session. So yeah, there was definitely some awkward moments between Nora and Patch. Disregarding the class topic, I saw a bit of myself in Nora when it came to her reactions to Patch's teasing of her. I liked how she fought back some, tried not to be a flirty ditz about the attention she was getting from Patch. I liked how she was tough, yet still melted just a little inside when Patch would act up.

So for most of the book was the knowing that there is a big secret going on and we have no clue as to what it is, other than that it involves Patch. And we do get the history behind that and what Patch is after.

It was quite surprising as well. There is some mystery intertwined within the story as well, for someone is stalking Nora. Or at least she thinks there is. There are times when she thinks she might be losing her mind, because one moment she sees her room's a wreck, 15 minutes later it's not. Is she being stalked? Or is she losing her mind?

Nora's BFF, Vee, was a splash of color in Nora's sometimes bleak outlook on things. She wasn't dreary and negative or anything, more conservative while Nora is her complete opposite. They complete each other in a way only best friends can. There are a few other characters as well who play important roles and they were written very well too.

The pacing was somewhere in-between I would say. I liked the bantering between Nora and Patch. Then something strange would happen and the tension notches up, then it goes back to ordinary. The romance, for you can tell there will be romance, was the sweet budding kind, but still intense at moments. Patch is a very deep and complex guy. I loved him! And he had more than one dark, foreboding secret!

Totally loved this one! There were a few times, very brief where I was slightly miffed with Nora and her behavior with this or that event. I really can't even recall now what they were. Just moments where I rolled my eyes and said "oh please". But there weren't that many really. So my overall rating for this one is 4.5/5 stars!

Adding Crescendo to my list of books to buy once I get my TBR stack down some!

5 comments:

  1. Great Review! I really liked this one. Sometimes Nora could be a little stupid, but I still enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! This is a pretty glowing review! I personally really liked it when I originally read it, but then after reading reviews of it, my opinion of it really changed and I started to dislike it a bit (ugh... isn't that always a booger?). And I did think that "Crescendo" was okay, the plot twists were amazing, but some of the characters really made me want to pull my hair out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the you loved HUSH HUSH. Can't wait for you to read CRESCENDO!!! Hope you will love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!

    I have yet to read this one, but I do have it on my shelve hehe

    Will get to it, soon i hope LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I find myself miffed at Nora a lot :)
    I also loved the bio scene.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!