Jul 14, 2013

Movie Review--Warm Bodies

So I finally sat down and watched the movie, Warm Bodies, having already read and enjoyed the book! And I must say that the movie was equally as pleasing!

Granted there were a few things that were left out of the movie that were in the book, such as R's wife that he marries before he meets Julie, but for some reason that didn't bother me. I guess because I didn't understand the point of it in the book.

There were a few other changes throughout the movie, but overall, this was an extremely good movie adaptation of a novel! Although, I did kind of like how R connected with Perry in some of his memories, like they had a conversation of sorts. This only sort of happens once in the movie when R has his first dream.

Otherwise, the movie still does fairly well at following along the story of the novel. Seeing the book come to life like this was great! I really do love it when the movie people capture a book right on film. Nicholas Hoult plays a fabulous R! I thought that he really captured the R from the book well, his transitioning from the zombie guy to just the guy.

That was one of the best parts of the movie, you can actually see R and M even....start to change. It's gradual. Movie magic does give you a very obvious hint that something's changing about them when they highlight their hearts pumping for the first time in so many years, but I felt like there were other subtle hints, like R's skin color being less pale. He shuffled less...and just a few other little things like that.

I have to say that the Boneys--the zombies that are beyond all help and have had their rotting flesh stripped off were just freaking scary!! Like really, OMFG that bitch is freaky! When they shuffled, or scuttled as the case might be, onto screen, I cringed a bit!

There were specks of humor as well, such as R adapting to becoming closer and closer to being alive. The makeover scene was as comical as it was in the book. I would've enjoyed it even more had Julie let Nora keep the song "Pretty Woman" playing!

Which yeah, the movie had awesome oldies music playing! Might have to look into the soundtrack to see if it's all the same!

The ending to this one was good as well! It wasn't quite like the book's ending, but very close! I can't really say which one I thought was better ending wise, because I thought both were done very well. The movie definitely has that happily ever after ending whereas the book was still happy, but not quite HEA, but there definitely hope for it!

Overall this was an incredible movie! I liked seeing a slew of new-to-me actors, which was perfect because I felt like they didn't butcher a character I grew to like. If you've read and enjoyed the book, I definitely recommend seeing this and vice versa! But I recommend seeing this even if you didn't! It was fun zombie movie, but of course you have to kind of like the cutesy-ish movies, as this isn't a horror zombie flick, but still a very enjoyable one!


Overall Rating 5/5 stars





2 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad you watched it :D Hoult did such a good job in this one as R. I love what they did with the ending in the movie and how it was a bit ending. I agree with you on the subtle cues that they did with the beating hearts, slightly less pale skin, and not shuffling as much to show their changes. It was such a great movie!! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a good movie too.. and I haven't read the book. It took so long for it to come into the library and by the time I got it I had too many other books to read. :(

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!