Jul 23, 2013

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Here are the rules:
1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc.

Once again, I find myself debating over teasers! So here's to more rule breaking!


"'The ones that end happily ever after, of course. Isn't that how they all end?'

'In Freesia, they mostly end with people having their hearts torn out and their blood drained through the hole into goblets.'" p 139


"'How much do you want to win?'

'Enough to jump through a nipple.'" p 197







TITLE: Wicked as She Wants
AUTHOR: Delilah S. Dawson

PUBLISHER: Pocket Books
GENRE: Dark Fantasy
RELEASE DATE: April 30, 2013



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


This week's topic is: Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book (opposite of April 30 topic!)

*in no particular order

**please note I do not begrudge anyone for liking the following words or topics, these are just not my kind of reads.
1. CONTEMPORARIES

Contemps are just not my style. I don't like reading books that have that "real life" feel to them. They just bore me.


2. BASED ON A TRUE STORY

This kind of goes back to my first thing. I don't like reading things that are "real". I read to escape reality so I don't want my book to be solely based in reality when I read it.


3. ROMANCE

Now I like romance in my books, but I don't like my book to be all about the romance! There's gotta be some action going on! And humor!



4. SUMMER LOVE?

Okay, this probably ties back to my previous one, which is more of a genre anyway. But I don't care for books that might proclaim a "summer love". It just feels too short termed to me or something.



5. SEX

Okay now this requires explaining! I don't mind sex in my books. Not at all in fact. But I don't like a lot of sex to happen. It's just not my thing, romance and love and all that is fine as elements of the novel, I just don't want them to be the main focus. Now if a book description basically uses the word "sex" at some point I pretty much know it won't be a read for me because the romance/sex will be a big part of the story.


And I think that's all I got for this one! And really, this was kind of stretching it for me. There aren't really words or topics for the most part that will make me automatically put the book back on the shelf. It always depends on what the story's about. But I do tend to avoid some genres automatically and yeah, sometimes I can tell if a particular UF read might not be for me, but it wasn't because of a particular word or topic.

So as I said, this was stretching it, trying to figure out these 5! But they still stand to be true!





30 comments:

  1. Great top ten, I agree with all 5 of them! Realistic problems are just not what I want to read about, just give me my dystopians and paranormal stuff:)

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!! I always love your teasers, Jessica!
    And yep, I definitely have to read this series!

    Here's my TT!

    Hope you have a fantastic week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great teaser, Jessica!! I know this book, and I already had my eyes on it, so I'd definitely have to check it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the teaser. Very cool indeed. Here is my TT http://cynthia2729.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/teaser-tuesday-july-23/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha!! Jump through a nipple!! Nice one!

    Thanx for visiting my TT
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the teasers- blood in a goblet, no thanks. Adore your top ten list too- I am right there with you on number 5.

    My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting teasers. Jump through a nipple? Huh? Please come see my teasers from Runt by Nora Raleigh Baskin and The White Princess by Philippa Gregory. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Based on a true story isn't my style either. I am like... snore.....

    Angie
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting top 10. I'm not a big fan of "based on a true story". I don't mind the others.

    Interesting teaser, btw. I have the first book on my shelf and I have yet to read it.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Based on a true story" tends to turn me off as well. Hope you enjoyed Wicked as She Wants! My teaser: Blue Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not big on contemps either, and especially summer love books. Meh.

    I'm with you on the sex. I don't mind it in my books (hello, I own everything Julia Quinn has written), but if it's the main focus, no thanks.

    Great list!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on the sex. I can live with some sex on books, but not too much. That's why I think Julia Quinn is such a great romance writer. She has a real story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great teasers. I'm always breaking the rules with mine. lol. Thanks for stopping by my TT.

    Linsey @ mybooksnthings.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! I'm coming from Teaser Tuesday. I have to say that books sounds gory . I love the meme button though Anyway here is My Teaser: http://www.2jackies.com/2013/07/teaser-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad to hear about the novel you're working on hun! It gives me hope that not all NA will be focused around sex and I look forward to reading it whenever you publish it :).

    Completely agree with so many of your choices. Sex has to be something which is used on the side rather than THE focus of the novel. With reading I think we're pretty similar. It's a form of escapism for me so nothing too realistic is great! I also agree with summer love *EWWW*.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love my romances to be filled with humor, too :) So, contemporary romance that's funny, I'm so in ;) I'm not a fan of books based on real events, too.

    Nice list & great teaser, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. *GASP*
    ....no comtemp???or Romance???? Or summer love???? -sobs into pillow- I don't know what life is anymore!! But I totally agree with sex and based on a true story. 100%
    Contemp IS one of my favorite genres though...but I do love a good fantasy...as long as it has some romance in it! Have you read any of Devri Walls stuff?? I LOVE HER!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    ~Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hihi, I feel the same way about number 4. I want a love that last through the snow :D Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not a big fan of contemporary either. It bores me.
    Too much sex and summer love, yeah, those I don't like. Same with romance. If the entire book is kissing and googly eyes and all that mushy stuff, then I dump it and run.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't like books based on a true story really either. I never thought I would like contemps because I was always so into paranormals, but I've found I'm really digging them lately. I do like my romance books to have a plot. I had to stop reading Laurell K. Hamilton because it no longer had the awesome necromancy aspect, it was all about erotica! Boooo.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are so different lol! 1, 3, and 4 are things I love however I completely agree with you on number 5. I don't have a problem with sex in books, but I don't want it to be all about the sex, and if "sex" is in the synopsis it's going to be all up in the book too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your teasers, Jessica :) And I think some rules need to be broken every now and then ;)

    I couldn't really come up with much for the Top Ten Tuesday today, which is why I didn't post one... Great work on coming up with six.

    Thanks for stopping by my Teaser Tuesday earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Things that are based on a true story always end up being sad. And then it is like this really happened to someone and then after that realization I have to go into the corner to cry because it is all waaayyy to depressing!!! And I agree about Summer Love.....I don't want to sit through a book with a relationship that is on a timer...I have better things to do with my life! Great list! This was definitely a hard topic!!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  24. Contemporaries aren't really my thing either, but I try. I've surprisingly found really good contemporaries, but most of them aren't really my thing.
    Great list! (:

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh this is a series I do want to try. :) Hope you are enjoying!

    And thank you for visiting my teaser today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the tease!! I really don't like particular genres either. I'm not a fan of based on a true story ones for sure, and my books need a magical element of some sort in them :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I didn't do a Top Ten post this week. I did a similar topic in the 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge and just didn't feel like writing up the same sort of list.

    Oh, I love true stories, and I've found myself loving contemporaries so much more than I thought I would. Though I do like a wide variety of genres. Romance and sex in books aren't my thing when that's all the story is either. I don't like erotica, and I'm not big on historical fiction (though I haven't read many) either.

    Interesting teaser. I haven't heard about this series. Not sure it's my kind of book, though I love fantasy. hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I enjoyed your Top Ten post today! Though I adore contempts, summer love, and read quite a few romances, I still agree with your "sex" section... I don't like it being the main focus either. Here and there is fine... but when it's the entire book I also get very bored. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hehe, I totally agree with all the icky lovey topics ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love your teasers! very interesting. my teaser is up
    http://wp.me/p3v5T1-92

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!