Jul 30, 2013

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Here are the rules:
1. Grab your current read

2. Open to a page

3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE

4. Name the title, author, etc.

"Of all the predators that prowled the carnival with strange appetites and strange shapes, the human was the truest monster of them all. The truest evil." p23













 

TITLE: Carniepunk: Painted Love
AUTHOR: Rob Thurman
PUBLISHER: Roc
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
RELEASE DATE: August 7, 2012


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This week's topic is: Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings In Books (talk about books that started or ended just perfectly or with a bang OR you could do specific opening lines or last lines -- however you want to do it!) 


*in no particular order

1. FIFTH GRAVE PAST THE LIGHT
This one, as well as the series so far, just has the best opening lines!
"The dead guy at the end of the bar kept trying to buy me a drink."



2. GRAVE WITCH

Another read that opens with a laugh!
"The first time I encountered Death, I hurled my mother's medical chart at him."



3. ONCE BITTEN
This was Kalayna's first series that she started just before the Alex Craft series. I really enjoyed this one and am still eagerly awaiting the third in the series! It's been such a long wait! The opening line was still very good and very promising for the story itself!
"In the last ten minutes I'd gone from miserable to totally screwed."



4. STRAY

I love openings that get a laugh! Or just a chuckle! Usually it's a reaction to something funny, scary or intense!
"The moment the door opened I knew an ass-kicking was inevitable. Whether I'd be giving it or receiving it was still a bit of a mystery."



5. INTERTWINED

I looooooooove this series!! This was one of the first books that I won when blogging! I remember it was the first two books in this series plus the first two books in Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series! Best contest win ever! Still eagerly--aka dying a slow reader's death--for book 4 in this series!
"A cemetery. No. No, no, no! How had he ended up here?"



6. ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND

I adore Gena's other YA series, it's fantastic!!

"Had anyone told me that my entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, I would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please."



7. HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE

This one has an opening that just pops! You gotta know what happens next!

"I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck. I pulled over, holding my breath as the sheriff came to my window."



8. SOULLESS

Love this series as well! This opening was just one that took me by surprise yet was definitely intriguing and I couldn't help but be lost to this world!

"Miss Alexia Tarabotti was not enjoying her evening. Private balls were never more than middling amusements for spinsters, and Miss Tarabotti was not the kind of spinster who could garner even that much pleasure from the event. To put the pudding in the puff: she had retreated to the library, her favorite sanctuary in any house, only to happen upon an unexpected vampire."



9. OF POSEIDON

Gotta love a smack!

"I smack into him as if shoved from behind. He doesn't budge, not an inch. Just holds my shoulders and waits. Maybe he's waiting for me to find my balance. Maybe he's waiting for me to gather my pride. I hope he's got all day."



10. WARM BODIES

This one was direct and very intriguing! There was so much to know from such little statements!

"I am dead, but it's not so bad. I've learned to live with it. I'm sorry I can't introduce myself, but I don't have a name anymore. Hardly any of us do. We lose them like car keys, forget them like anniversaries. Mine might have started with an "R," but that's all I have now. It's funny because back when I was alive, I was always forgetting other people's names. My friend "M" says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off."


30 comments:

  1. Like your teaser and your list. That took a lot of work!

    Here's our teasers: http://www.ourstack.blogspot.com/2013/07/tuesday-teasers-four-for-you_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting tease. First time I've seen this book.
    Thanks for stopping by my TT

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting tease. First time I've seen this book.
    Thanks for stopping by my TT

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these books on your Top Ten! They look so good though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! Warm Bodies is on my list, too :) And I absolutely loved the opening of Soulless, too :) And the Intertwined one was great, I've forgotten about it, also yay for Halfway to the Grave and Of Poseidon was fun, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes - the beginning to Warm Bodies was really captivating. Great choice!

    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, awesome teaser! And sheesh--my friend has been telling me I REALLY need to watch the Warm Bodies movie...but it looks like I may REALLY, REALLY have to read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool teaser.. and I also like the Stray book. In fact my teaser comes from Shift by Rachel Vincent My Tuesday Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great teaser! Never heard of this book before, I have to check it out ;)

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great teaser! Really like it! Great TTT list as well. :D

    My TTT
    <a href="http://musingsonfantasia.blogspot.com/2013/07/teaser-tuesday-passage.html>My TT</a>

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting teaser with a sad bit of truth to it. I've only read one book on your list (the Jeaniene Frost), though at least two others are on the book wishlist. My teaser: Old Bones

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. ok, was looking for your RSS feed and can't find it, I know all blogs have them, but not all have it were we can add to out readers. I am using Feedly now, and want to add yours. I had to start over with it, as google reader is gone, so wanted to add your site. Let me know where it is, if you know and I will add your blog.

      Delete
  13. The teaser is awesome. I really need to get that book.

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/07/teaser-tuesdays_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never read Of Poseidon and Soulless before but it has been on my TBR list forever. Awesome teaser, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great teaser! Great TT list too. I just downloaded Alice in Zombieland so I can FINALLY get to reading it! I saw book 2 up on Edelweiss, so I really need to read book 1, and pronto!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, interesting. I bet that book's a trip...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your teaser, Jessica! I really enjoy the stories in Carniepunk I have read so far :)

    You are very good at making the TTT! I just couldn't think of anything for today, so I only did the Teaser instead.

    Have a great afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It hurts, but I think it's sadly true. My TT. And I love you opening/ending choices, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Warm Bodies was a fun book. R's voice was great throughout. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list Jessica! I was trying to remember a Cat and Bones beginning/ending that stood out, but all my books are starting to run together! And ah! I still need to start Darynda's series!

    My TTT

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved the teaser- some of the greatest monsters are humans. Great list as well.

    My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great teaser!! I have only read Stray and Halfway to the Grave in your Top 10, believe it or not!!

    Thanx for visiting my TT
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great teaser! Hope you're enjoying the book and nice lost too!

    Thanks for stopping by my post earlier. Stopping by to return the love. Happy reading!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. great teaser. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my TT.

    (Above comment was me, I was signed in my other account lol)

    Linsey @ mybooksnthings.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like Soulless and Of Poseidon. I haven't read the others on your list, but I'll check them out!

    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yeah...I have to agree with that teaser. Humans are the most dangerous animals.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!