May 5, 2015

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Here are the rules:
 
1. Grab your current read      
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc


So yeah...I am totally breaking the rules today! But you'll thank me for it! Or not! Haha!


"Slowly, so slowly, his eyes roved down, then up. As if he were studying every inch, every curve of me. And even though I wore my ivory underthings, that gaze alone stripped me bare.

His eyes met mine and he gave me a lazy smile before removing his clothes. Button by button. I could have sworn the gleam in his eyes turned hungry and feral--enough so that I had to look anywhere but at his face." p 162










TITLE: A Court of Thorns and Roses
AUTHOR: Sarah J. Maas
PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury Children's
GENRE: Fantasy YA

RELEASE DATE: May 5, 2015



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.



This week's topic is: Ten Books I Will Probably Never Read


*in no particular order

Ugh, hopefully I won't have people hating me for these. Not even sure how much of a "fave" some of these are or will be! Plus how hard is this to think of books I don't/will never read!


1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins--I'm kinda picky with my dystopian reads and this one never really grabbed my attention. I admit the movies look good, though I have yet to see one. But I still won't likely ever pick this one up.
2. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas--weird, I know. I read ToG but just couldn't get into it. I wanted to. I really wanted to. But I think the hype and the pressure got to me and I just couldn't get into the story. The writing was good though, but the story didn't do anything for me. I will say that as of writing this post I am LOVING ACOTAR!
3. Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers--this one was intimidating with the page count alone. But then I heard mixed reviews about it and I will likely just never read it despite having a mild curiosity about it.


4. Fallen by Lauren Kate--this one too had so many mixed reviews and I'll admit most were not so good ones. It kinda of steered me away from ever wanting to read it despite the gorgeous cover!
5. Evernight by Claudia Gray--oddly enough I do own this one on my kindle. There might have been mixed reviews on the later books but I still find myself hesitating to start it. But I loved ATPOY, so I feel that counts for something! ;)
6. The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine--I adored Rachel's Weather Warden series and was initially excited about her upcoming YA series when she told me about it, but then I just never picked it up. Book after book kept releasing and I still never got to book 1. Even with the series finished I still don't know if I will ever commit to reading it all. Or starting it for that matter.


7. The Inventor's Secret by Andrea Cremer--I enjoyed the Nightshade trilogy but there's something about this series that's holding me back from reading it. I'm not sure what. It's possible that one day I maybe might read it, but most likely not.
8. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling--I know. I know, I know, I know! I wanted to read this one don't get me wrong. But when I read what it was about. I was so not moved. It was too contemporary sounding for me.
9. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith--yeah...pretty much what I just said above applies to this one too. I like mysteries occasionally, but even the ones I read usually have a paranormal twist to them. The lack of paranormal and magic or anything "weird" to this one just makes me feel bored, despite the incredible author!


10. Wolfcry by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes--yes there's quite a few of her books that I haven't read. This series she wrote was interesting, but I found myself losing interest by third book when Danica and Zane were no longer the main characters. It was also perhaps due to too much time between book 2 and 3 that had me totally forgetting characters that I didn't know who was who in this later years story. So I doubt I will ever finish the rest of this series.







38 comments:

  1. I am utterly shocked at how many people agree with me about The Hunger Games! The first book was SO bad! I just don't get the hype...Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I just downloaded A Court of Thorns and Roses. :D
    Great tease!!!

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tease- why is he getting undressed? I picked up Hunger Games after watching the first two movies- my students told me the book was totally different ( the movie is only missing three scenes). Haven't read the third book though probably won't

    My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your teaser comes from a book I've been eyeing for a while . . . I'll definitely have to read it at some point!

    Thanks for sharing, and here's my TT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for breaking the rules!! That's an awesome tease! :) As for the books you'll never read...a few might make my list as well. And there are some on your list I loved. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping that my copy of ACOTR comes today! Perfect day for this teaser;) here is my TT: http://candidcover.net/2015/05/05/teaser-tuesdays-3/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That teaser, can't wait to read ACOTAR! Happy Reading x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've already read ACOTAR, and there were a lot of parts where I had to fan my face because the writing was so steamy.

    I really loved Grave Mercy. If you like historical fiction with a slight fantasy twist, you might want to give it a try. And now that all three books are out, you won't have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked Hunger Games and Grave Mercy both, but it really all depends on your preferences. Crown of Glass is on my kindle. I'll probably read that one, then decide whether book 2 is for me or not. I'm on the fence about Casual Vacancy. I actually liked The Cuckoo's Calling. It didn't floor me or anything, but I enjoyed it. However, you're right that there's nothing at all fantasy or paranormal about it, so maybe it's not for you. Great list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only read one on your list, and I also don't care for the others...they have no appeal to me, either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was not a fan of HG and read it but never finished the series..so I am just watching the movies..lol. I didn't LOVE ToG but it was okay enough that I have the next one to read or rather listen too as that is how I did mine. :) The others on your list I will probably never read either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like The Hunger Games, not as much as other dystopias I've read, but it's pretty good. With Throne of Glass, I wasn't much into the first book either but they do get better each book, the second one was pretty good and the third was absolutely amazing (although this is only my opinion, you are of course free to read or not read whatever you want). I'm really looking forward to reading ACOTAR! The Casual Vacancy was also on my list.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/top-ten-tuesday-3/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might read Cuckoo's Calling. I know what you mean about the lack of magic but I love JKR way of writing mystery. And I didn't love the Throne of Glass series until Crown of Midnight. If you do want to give the series another try (and Heir of Fire is amazing) you should start with The Assassin's Blade, it builds the world and establishes the characters much better than Throne of Glass. Great list!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read The Hunger Games yet. Maybe one day I will. I though Grave Mercy was pretty good. I've heard the second one is better. I'm sorry that you didn't like ToG. I hope you like ACOTAR better!

    Lizzie @ lizziethesarcasticblonde@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Casual Vacancy just doesn't appeal to me either. I have no desire to read that one.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  16. WHOA! Steamy teaser! I can't wait to read it!

    You should definitely read the Morganville Vampires series! It's one of my favorites. I don't think I'll ever read The Casual Vacancy either. I did like Evernight, but I haven't read past book two. Not because I don't want to, I just haven't. I do want to read The Inventors Secret one day.

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  17. That teaser was steamy. I was actually offered this book to read as a review copy, but didn't know if I wanted to do it or not. That might make me rethink my decision. LOL. I haven't read any of these books in you TTT except The Hunger Games. It was okay. Some of the other sounds interesting, but I just don't know... LOL

    Tiara @ Bibliosanctum

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'll probably never read jk rowling's CV and TCC either. i read excerpts of both and they were just not for me. thank you for stopping by my TTT :)

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  19. You definitely made the right decision with Fallen! I tried so hard to like that series and I just didn't. I do have to say I loved The Hunger Games, but different strokes! ;)

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, man, Grave Mercy and the entire His Fair Assassin Trilogy are awesome! reads! I just finished reading and reviewing Mortal Heart last weekend and am hoping that the 3 novels that make up the His Fair Assassin Trilogy are made into movies.

    Thanks for leaving me a comment on my TTT post for this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that quote from ACOTAR. I am so in love with the book!

    I attempted to read A Casual Vacancy but I just couldn't get into it at all. I don't think I'll try any of her other contemporaries either.

    Hope you're having a lovely day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh man that ACOTAR teaser! I am dying for my finished copy to arrive so I can start my re-read because that book is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been thinking about getting this book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Teaser definitely made me curious. This doesn't sound like a scene from a children's book!
    My Tuesday post features ELIZABETH’S LANDING.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with the Casual Vacancy and the Cuckoo's calling. I own both but I doubt I'll ever read them. I just read the Hunger games last year and they were good but I haven't seen the films.

    Tina, The Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  26. Don't torture yourself with Fallen.

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I finished A Court of Thorns and Roses today and oh my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've read 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 from your list. I think I've read 6 too. I know I read the first couple Morganville Vampires books. I have The Cuckoo's Calling on my Kindle too but haven't read it. Your teaser makes me want to move the book up on TBR mountain. I got it today but have so many review books ahead of it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I feel the same way about Throne of Glass, even more when I realized there would be so many books.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I keep wanting to read The Casual Vacancy but I can't get up any interest in it. I do love The Hunger Games though!

    Vicarious Caytastrophe

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved the first 2 books in The Hunger Games trilogy and The Crown of Midnight is one of my faves - I agree with you about The Casual Vacancy, Fallen and Evernight.

    A nice list! Sharon – Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  32. I read three books from the Evernight series but I received it as a gift and I honestly struggle although I have to admit that it gets better after each book. But I really struggled. Although I think that it'll work better for you since you ATPOY and I didn't.
    I LOVED the Cuckoo's Calling but since you're looking for paranormal aspects, it might not really be your thing since it's purely crime fiction.

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love that tease. I really need to add ACOTAR to my shelf.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haha I agree with Fallen. I read it because of the movie coming out and long story short is I hated it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I liked The Hunger Games and The Dead Girls Dance, maybe one day you'll make it to Morganville.

    ReplyDelete
  36. i love grave mercy! one of the few properly executed historical/fantasy reads to be honest. It is so addicting. As for The Cuckoo's calling.. i love mystery reads so i'm definitely picking it up soon (i already own a copy)

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!