Jun 5, 2017

Discussion Challenge: Blogging Through the Years and the Changes

My ideas for posts are starting to fade, so I turned to the helpful list and one prompt stood out to me. I know I've probably mentioned it in passing on a post or two, but thought one nice little post about the topic wouldn't hurt!

Blogging Through the Years and the Changes

So I've been blogging since January 29, 2009. Yup, I'm one of the earlier bloggers, back when there weren't too many other bloggers around. The blog started as a whim as a contest entry to win an ARC of Rachel Vincent's Pride. Needless to say, I didn't win, but I thought I'd keep the blog up for awhile since I went to all the trouble of making it!

I don't have any saved pictures of all the changes in templates I've gone through. Mostly it was one of the free ones from whatever website I used at the time! I can't even remember that anymore either! Lol! It was two years ago or maybe three that I won a custom design and had the design you see now! I still love it so I've never bothered to change it!

Those early blogging years were pretty rough though. I did find some bloggers to follow though who shared the same interest in paranormal books. It was a rough time, as you can see I wrote 96 posts. And they're kind of incoherent! I didn't follow any kind of structure. I still don't really. I've always been of the mind to write the kinds of posts/reviews that I'd want to read, so I touch on all the things I'd like to see in a review of a book I am contemplating about reading. The early years I really had no clue what I was doing! LOL!

2010 was a better year with over 400 posts and the year after that almost 700! For some reason things took a dip in 2015, I think I can chalk that up to losing my job at the beginning of that year and I just kind of did the basic posts. It was rough and scary not knowing what I was going to do. Then it seemed things were crazy busy last year and I didn't even top 500. I guess this is chalked up to life. Growing up and having to do more adult things. Blah. Also sometimes it's because I never know what other post to write up besides my reviews and memes I participate it. Which is why I joined this challenge this year. It's still hard sometimes because I can't always figure out what I want to write up even with the helpful list! I am getting an idea or two occasionally as we saw last month, but this month I feel dried up and it makes me panic and that's when I turn on Netflix or something! LOL!

I still enjoy blogging though and don't see myself quitting anytime soon. Though the posts may not be as frequent as they were in my heyday when the blogosphere suddenly took off, but I tend to still be around for awhile because seriously it's way too much fun discussing books and bookish things with other booklovers! As I have mentioned in the past, I was sorely lacking that in my youth when I was the only one in my circle who liked reading back then!




9 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you started the blog because of a contest. I hopped on the scene a couple years so I never really saw the slow start up of blogs. I think I may have started back when it was almost at it's peak. I will say that I've definitely seen the blogging community decline in numbers over the last couple of years. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you started your blog thanks to a contest! In 2009, I hadn't even found Goodreads yet, so I was way behind you :D I think the fluctuations in blogging can be both good and somewhat heartbreaking. You must have seen a lot of bloggers come and go, for one!
    I love your theme, too - no need to change as long as you still do, right?
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post. I started blogging because of my sister. Lately I have felt a bit like you. I was in a bit of a slump and 'owing' reviews, meaning I am late, bugs the crap out of me. I seem to bite off more than I can chew and become discouraged. The commenting and emails seem to be a pain in my...side. LOL Keep up the great work and keep it fun.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started blogging in 2010 right after my first child was born. Seven years and three more kids later...Life does get in the way sometimes but I always find my way back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were a very early blogger. I didn't start mine until the very end of 2013. I do think that everyone's blog probably changes as their life changes. I just try to keep things fun and at a level that I can balance with the rest of my life. Thanks for sharing your blog history!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had been around for those early years of book blogging. It would have been fun to have been a part of the community right from the beginning. It's interesting to look back over the years and see how things have changed, though, right? I love doing that!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You HAVE been blogging for a long time! I wish I had started blogging sooner, but I only really really got back into reading a lot in the TwentyTens. I can imagine you've seen a lot of us come and go!
    It's great that you've kept it up for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you're an old wolf in book blogging! That is so awesome. Glad to have chanced upon your blog. Meanwhile I've just started.
    Wow, so many posts in just one year! I stick to like 3 a week now and think that's a lot :D impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm super impressed that you've stayed with it so long! Eight years, wow!!
    I wouldn't stress about posting less some years or feeling like you're running out of ideas at times. Write whatever's fun for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!