Feb 3, 2012

Friday Hops

This is a weekly blog meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

Here are the general rules to Follow Friday:
1. Follow the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts and any one else you want to follow on the list
2. Follow our Featured Bloggers
3. Put your Blog name & URL in the Linky thing.
4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments
5. Follow Follow Follow as many as you can
6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the Love...and the followers
7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
8. If your new to the follow Friday hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!

This week's question is: Define what characteristics your favorite books share. Do they all have a kickass heroine or is the hot love interest the Alpha Male?


MY ANSWER: OOh nice question! I think one of the most defining themes is the heroine! She's pretty much always a woman who does what's right, whether she wants to or not! She's strong, tough and has a bit of snark or attitude in her. Really the qualities are varying in degree, but you basically have a strong kickass heroine! And there's usually a sidekick or BFF that brings some humor along as well! Gotta love that!


TGIF is a weekly feature created and hosted by GReads! that re-caps the week’s posts and has different question each week.

This week's question is: Book Appeal: When you're browsing goodreads, the library, or another blogger's reviews, what grabs your attention to make you want to read it?
 
MY ANSWER: Well, if it's a book I've been thinking about I do look for reviews of it at other bloggers' blogs. My TBR pile has gotten a lot bigger because of that--as well as the closing sale of Borders which still saddens me! :(

But lately I've been reading a few reviews of Forbidden by Syrie and Ryan James and it's definitely piquing my interest! Going to try looking for it at the stores this weekend. I've liked the author's other book, Nocturne, so much that I am more than willing to try this one out!

And other times a book that's new to me might appeal me to read more about it based on its cover. I know they always told us in school not to judge a book by its cover, but ever since I've started blogging I've been totally wowed by covers! It has definitely led me to discover new reads! As you all know, my obsession with 13 to Life started when I saw the cover at RT 2010! And the series has totally blown me away and the covers are still awesome!







21 comments:

  1. Right! A good heroine should always have a good sidekick. ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get ideas of books to read from bloggers, Goodreads ratings, cover, and ultimately the summary of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by - always happy to return the visit.

    For me, a good cover can sell a book, but I find that with an e-reader I rarely see the cover beyond that initial purchase. That's where a clever title really works to grab my attention.

    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with both answers! Kick-ass heroines! Yes, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good, strong heroine! Thanks for stopping by, Happy Friday!

    Reading to Penguins

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! it's definitely my kind of heroine too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting recommendations from all over (Goodreads and bloggers and Twitter) is always a great way to discover titles I want to read. My TBR, like yours, has grown so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally a cover person! Great answer.

    New Follower.
    Esha@ Readaholicme

    ReplyDelete
  9. I judge books by their covers too. Sadly I have not read 13 to Life, but it's on my TBR list. Which is enormous...but I'll get to it eventually. :)

    Jessi @ Auntie Spinelli Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very often I go by the cover but I also read the back! It has to sound interesting but the very first I look at is the cover and it it pass the inspection I turn the book and read the back and after that I read the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must admit that more often than not it is the cover that attracts me to a book. Quite often I'll get a book I like the look of and have no clue what it's about! Pretty shallow of me huh?

    And I agree that I love a kick-ass heroine too. But I do love a sexy alpha male too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good strong female lead too. I hate whining. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great answer it definitely is down to how the heroine or even the hero (depending on the pov) acts.

    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great answer, that's how I feel about the characters AI write because that's what I prefer to read. Well, have a great #ff, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier
    Kristy xx

    (Old Follower)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "She's pretty much always a woman who does what's right, whether she wants to or not!" This. A heroine doesn't have to be a stereotypical nice girl in order to do what's right. I fall head over heels for a heroine who saves the innocent and stands up for what's right even when it's going to cost her. And this happens so often in UF! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a strong female character..they make a book great to read :)

    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoy a funny sidekick! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I judge books by their covers a lot more now than i did before I started blogging. I live a book with a pretty cover!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like a strong heroine too. If the lead is not right it can ruin the entire story. Great answer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog on Friday. Returning the favour (a couple of days late).

    I agree that I have to like the heroine to be able to really like the book. Or the hero if the protag is a guy. I think it all revolves around a likeable main character. Even if they frustrate you at times, so long as you can like them in the long run it's all good!

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!