Mar 8, 2013

Review--Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck

Faith. Trust. Desire.

How far would you go to free the one you love?

Kelsey Hayes's eighteenth summer was crazy. The kind that nobody would ever believe.

Aside from battling immortal sea monkeys and trekking the jungles of India, she fell in love with Ren, a 300-year-old prince.

When danger suddenly forces Kelsey on another Indian quest with Ren's bad-boy brother, Kishan, the unlikely duo begins to question their true destiny. Ren's life hangs in the balance--and so does the truth within Kelsey's heart.

Tiger's Quest, the thrilling second volume in the Tiger's Curse series, brings the trio one step closer to breaking the ancient prophecy that binds them.


Colleen Houck's Tiger's Quest was far better than I expected! Especially after a slow start, I was beginning to doubt if I would continue liking this series, but after ten chapters or so, the action finally begins its starting pace.

The beginning focused on Kelsey and her life back in Oregon. Which is sooo different now after all she's been through, but plus she's living on her own in a duplex, going to college, driving a Porsche all for free. Mr. Kadam and the boys are basically freaking richer than anyone in the world and have enough cash to spare to put Kelsey in the lap of luxury! To be able to do anything without worry about money must really be nice, but at times I felt like it was too convenient that so much money was available and made everything possible. But moving on...

Kelsey begins to date, she wants to find that special someone and move on from Ren. Her plan starts out pretty good. One date was totally lousy, the next was so-so, the final player was the most likely choice, except she just wasn't "wow'd" by him. Then on Christmas she receives an unexpected present. Ren. After months from not hearing from him, he returns. Their relationship then starts over with the whole dating thing, for Ren wants to win Kelsey back in the right way.

But all is not safe and calm in Oregon. Lokesh is looking for Kelsey, hunting her really. Her life is in danger, so Kishan comes to the states to help out. This is when things pick up marginally. For suddenly Kelsey and the brothers are being chased down by way too many men in the middle of the forest. And suddenly, Ren is captured.

Returning back to India, it will be up to Kelsey and Kishan to rescue him, with help from Mr. Kadam of course. But before they can help him, they must perform the next test in the prophecy and receive one of the desired objects. It's not long before feelings and whatall start developing between Kishan and Kelsey. Kishan's feelings were obvious, but it's Kelsey's who are going through a whirlwind storm! She loves Ren, knows it, but she loves Kishan too--just not in the same way as Ren.

Once their task is complete Kelsey, Kishan and Mr. Kadam move in to rescue Ren but it will take a lot more firepower than expected.

These books while very long, the first two at least and it looks like the next two are just as long if not longer, are pretty well paced. Again, I will note that the beginning was a little too slow for me. It was too focused on the normal side of life when I was wanting Kelsey and Ren to get back to India and start looking for the next objects. Once Kelsey and Kishan's journey began, things were interesting and entertaining!

There's a lot of storytelling in these books and I do enjoy that. Moments of normalcy are spread throughout as well, and sometimes I do enjoy them, but other times I feel like they drag a bit too much. But in the later half, I can see why they were necessary. The beginning half I can understand, I was just bored with it.

The ending, oh the ending! It's one of those types that kills me! I obviously cannot go into details, but after I read the third one and review it, you can expect me to tell you why this kind of ending always kills me. It wasn't so much the ending, but an event. An occurrence that kills me!

As for action, there was plenty of it. Kelsey and Kishan had to perform many tasks and feats in order to get the desired object they wanted, much like Kelsey and Ren did the first go around. In ways, this book kind of read like that one, expect for obvious differences. But the whole going to a magical place where Kishan could remain human for as long as he wanted. With that in mind, I don't know how I feel about the originality of this story, I still enjoyed it for sure! But while I was reading, I felt like some things were just too familiar. But again, I am not saying it's a bad thing and that I hated it, I still really enjoyed this read and cannot wait to get to the next one within time.

As far as romance goes, there was a bit of it. When Kelsey and Ren had their time together in the beginning, it was deliciously sweet! Ren is the kind of boyfriend any girl would want. But in the later half, when it's Kelsey and Kishan time, things are way different. The brothers are very different from one another. But I see more sadness in our bad-boy Kishan. He hurts and truly cares for Kelsey in a very romantic way, but he knows her heart belongs to Ren, but he cannot help but love who he loves. A fear of a repeat of history does come up, but how much worse can it get?

It doesn't help either that Kelsey's feelings for Kishan are overly confused. She is attracted to him as well. But again, she is in love with Ren. That was a difference she pointed out as well!

This series is definitely entertaining and is marvelous storytelling! I think that's what draws me in so. The storytelling. This will be one series that I definitely will be holding onto and seeing it to its end. Now if only I could get caught up in it!


Overall rating 4.5/5 stars




5 comments:

  1. Wow, this series does sound really good, Though I do hate slow starters. Happy you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this series when I started it, but I ended up loving it. They do start out slow, but then I love how they pick up and speed us along the journey.

    Also, I am Team Kishan 100%! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have these books sitting on my bookshelf. I'm glad to see that you liked to them so well. I know it's safe to get into them eventually. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy this series, but you’re totally right, they start a little slow. And they’re all hugely long, so you have to really set aside time to read them. Oh, and Kishan is my favorite! I can see that he’s such a sweetheart. AND THE ENDING. I don’t want to tell you, but it’s going to really kill you in the next book. Fabulous review, Jessica! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
  5. The covers for this series are absolutely amazing!! thanks for the great review, I have a copy of the first book that I still need to read!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!