Mar 21, 2013

Review--Flight by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Sometimes you just have to take flight.

A summer in New Orleans is exactly what Allie needs before starting college. Accepting her dad’s invitation to work at his hotel offers an escape from her ex-boyfriend and the chance to spend the summer with her best friend. Meeting a guy is the last thing on her mind—until she sees Levi.

Unable to resist the infuriating yet alluring Levi, Allie finds herself at the center of a supernatural society and forced to decide between following the path she has always trusted or saving a city that might just save her.



Yay! A one day read for me! Although I am posting the review today instead of yesterday, I have gotten it into my head that I shouldn't have more than 1 review a day. But whatev's!

I won this book in a contest awhile back and managed to devour it in less than a day! Alyssa Rose Ivy's Flight was a pretty darn good paranormal new adult read! The heroine, Allie, is fresh out of high school and is planning on working in her dad's hotel in New Orleans for the summer before she starts college. Her friend, Jessica is along for the trip as well.

Things start out pretty tame, then on their first night, Allie and Jess go out to a club and that's where she really meets Levi for the first time. (The actual first time was when she glimpsed him at the hotel where he was hanging out or something). But Allie has sworn off men, she says this a lot in the beginning, but it's because she hasn't had a whole lot of luck in the romance department with boyfriends. But there is something very different and compelling about Levi.

A part of me was pleased to see that Allie didn't fall head over heels in love with Levi in the beginning. Levi was the ultimate flirt, but Allie remained headstrong, for the most part at least. She could even admit to herself at times she was attracted to Levi, but was still annoyed with how forward he was when they first met.

However, it isn't long that she realizes how different Levi is. He's Pteron, which is definitely something new for me in the supernatural community. Think half crow or raven I guess, but they use crows a lot. He can sprout wings and I suppose he has other powers we aren't quite aware of yet, but there it is. I was pleased with how well Allie accepted the fact that supernaturals existed, although I would've liked a little more shock I guess. She was shocked, but then it was like...oh wow! I thought that was jumping the gun a little too quickly, but only just.

Although Allie is about to learn a whole lot more about the supernatural community than she thought possible. And how exactly the Pterons work in a way. And she's also about to learn just how dangerous that life can be.

This was a rather quick read for me, but I still enjoyed it. There were still times I was rolling my eyes thinking things were just going a little too perfectly. I can't recall examples, but it just felt a little too perfect, you know? Too convenient that Allie was able to do such things and there be no repercussions or anything like that.

The other Pteron characters were pretty fun too, from what we saw of them. They were around, but not a whole lot. Owen is a sweetie and I hope to see more of him in the next two books, Hailey, Owen's sister was a riot! She was your typical teen in some ways, wild, a little crazy--not much though--and just fun! She and Allie became fast friends. Jared is our mysterious, broody type that is just a puzzling mystery to me, I think there's more to him than he lets on! Definitely can't wait to see more of all these guys in the stories to come.

The ending got pretty exciting too. Things got intense and kind of dangerous, and just before all that, there was a whopper of a surprise that just leaves Allie reeling! And the very end, everything changes for Allie. Needless to say, I am pretty close to buying the next in the series!


Overall rating 4/5 stars




1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica thanks for stopping by and trying to follow me blog lovin sorry the link was not working it is the picture of the big head. on the right sidebar but sometimes might not show depending on the computer I guess HAHA well I tried emailing and the link gave me trouble to send it, seems I have trouble too LOL sorry about that so here is the link, you I'm sure can google blog lovin and sign up then transfer all the blogs you follow I transfered mine so I have you in there anywho here you go
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/5022783

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!