Mar 1, 2013

Review--Sealed with a Curse by Cecy Robson

Celia Wird and her three sisters are just like other twentysomething girls--with one tiny exception: They're the products of a curse that backfired and gave each of them unique powers that make them, well, a little weird...

The Wird sisters are content to avoid the local vampires, werebeasts, and witches of the Lake Tahoe regions--until one of them blows up a vampire in self-defense. Everyone knows that vampires aren't aggressive, and killing one is punishable by death. But soon more bloodlust-fueled attacks occur, and the community wonders if the vampires of Tahoe are plague-ridden.

Celia reluctantly agrees to help Misha, the handsome leader of an infect vampire family. But Aric, the head of the werewolf pack determined to destroy Misha's family to keep the area safe, warns Celia to stay out of the fight. Caught between two hot alphas, Celia must find a way to please everyone, saveeveryone, and--oh, yeah--not lose her heart to the wrong guy or die a miserable death. Because now that the evil behind the plague knows who Celia is, he's coming for her and her sisters.

This Wird girl has never had it so tough.


I decided to read Cecy Robson's Sealed with a Curse, since RT is getting closer, I want to read a few of my RT authors' books. And plus this month I am focusing on my TBR March Challenge! Moving on...this book was popping up in the blogosphere and I soon became intrigued with it. And despite a few misgivings I had, I actually really enjoyed it.

I love starting new series, because I love getting to know the world the characters live in, discovering what this world is and all that whatnot! It's all great fun! Celia's world is a world with supernaturals, obviously, and she and her sisters would rather stay out of it, but Fate has other plans for the sisters.

I was a little overwhelmed with all the characters. Celia and her three sisters are main characters, although, Celia is the only narrator. She has the abilities to turn into a tigress, not to be confused with a weretiger or anything like that. Celia gives the details pretty early on about the difference. Her sisters, Taran, Emme, and Shayna all have different abilities too. They were born to human parents but when a curse went awry while their mother was pregnant with Celia, the curse in turn gave them special abilities.

Celia and her sisters were all very different. Celia being the heroine was the one we got to know the most. She was strong, determined, yet she had her vulnerabilities. Emme was the baby of the family and she has that sweet innocence thing going on, yet the sisters are only a few years apart. I never did get the exact ages. Taran is the bold and brash kind of gal. She has a mouth on her, she can be pretty funny though! And Shayna is the "middle" child of sorts since Celia is the oldest then Taran. Shayna was an interesting character, yet she said "dude" way too much, Celia even admits it. But I guess with all the characters, they each needed to have something that made them stand out.

The troubles begin after the sisters get out of a court dealing when they had killed a vampire--a big no-no--but it was revealed that the vampire was in the throes of bloodlust and the sisters acted in self-defense so they were got off. But the problems with bloodlust vampires is still a problem. And they are happening to Misha's vampires--the master of the one who they killed and who was charging them of the crime. So yeah, it was awkward when he came to them wanting their help...or to Celia really.

Things get more complicated when Celia attracts the attention of Aric, a werewolf who Celia is in turn attracted to. The two play a game of sorts where they almost get together, then back away, then again, and again. Aric has his own hangups being a pureblooded wolf and there are expectations for him. Plus he has some stalker chick after him who tries scaring Celia away.

To add a little more to the complexity there are three other werewolves who are meant as love interests for Celia's sisters. There were a little too many characters at times, yet when they all weren't on the same page together, I did enjoy their interactions. Seeing the big bad werewolf, Liam, being immediately attracted to the sweet, docile Emme was very sweet. Yes, I repeated myself, can't be helped! :) And Koda, who was another big bad werewolf type, was easily swayed by Shayna, who was bold in her own way. The only match that seems complicated was Taran and Gemini, there was a brief spark and then things went down hill. I think there's a reason to that that we might see later.

Back to the main storyline, I enjoyed that immensely! It was a good mystery twist and I totally pegged the bad guy down which made me feel oh-so-smart! Celia and her sisters sort of team up with Aric and his wolves, yet time and time again, Aric tells Celia to drop it. That it was too dangerous, that kind of alpha male crap annoys me and it annoyed Celia too! Needless to say she didn't listen!

There was definitely a love triangle of sorts since Misha started to see Celia in a different way. His affections came on a little strong for me. There was some reasoning behind it, but again, I felt that it was a little much. Celia herself didn't know what to do with it either. There was a charming scene though that involved Celia having dinner with both Misha and Aric. It was definitely some sort of mating challenge between the two Alpha males in trying to win Celia over.

There were a few laughs in between as well, I feel I have to mention that! Lots of action and danger. Despite some of the character overload, it was still a very enjoyable novel! I will definitely be checking out the next book in the series later this year. To put it simply, Sealed with a Curse is the perfect read for the Urban Fantasy reader!


Overall rating 4.5/5 stars



2 comments:

  1. yeah this series is really great I'm glad you enjoyed this first book too. I can't wait to read the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much. It's been on my wish list. I'll move it up on the TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!