Mar 15, 2013

Review--Touch of the Demon by Diana Rowland

KARA GILLIAN IS IN SERIOUSLY DEEP TROUBLE

She's used to summoning supernatural creatures from the demon realm to our world, but now she's the one who's been summoned. Kara is the prisoner of the demonic lord Mzatal, but quickly discovers that she's far more than a mere hostage. He has his own plans to use Kara and keep her from Rhyzkahl--the demonic lord she is sworn to serve. However, waiting for rescue has never been Kara's style, and she has no intention of being a pawn in someone else's game.

Yet intrigue and treachery run rampant among all the lords, and Kara is hard pressed to keep her wits about her. Her abilities as a homicide detective are put to the test as she seeks the truth about FBI Agent Ryan Kristoff, Rhyzkahl, and herself, but the answers she finds only raise more questions. She soon discovers that she has her own history in the demon realm--one that goes back further than she could have ever imagined--but that history may yet spell her doom as she's faced with a peril beyond mortal comprehension.

Shes going to need all the strength and tenacity she's developed as a cop and a summoner, or the hell she endures may well last forever.


It took me a lot longer to get through this one than I though it would! The problem being the format of the book and pages changed dramatically! The text shrank by a half size, if not one full one. The spacing decreased dramatically. And I am pretty sure the margins changed as well, becoming smaller than they once were in the previous book. What that means is there is a LOT of small text on each and every page. And with 440 pages to read, it took me twice as long to finish this one than I normally would.

Moving on...Diana Rowland's Touch of the Demon turned out to be an okay read for me. Last time around, Kara was summoned to the demon realm. She finds herself in the hands of Mzatal, a demonic lord we had yet to meet. She's his prisoner of sorts. He plans to remove Rhyzkahl's mark from her and Kara just knows that that is not a good idea, so she plans her escape. And after 100 pages, she does.

But it's after another 100 pages when the game plan changes dramatically! Everything Kara thought she knew about the demon realm and her demonic lord bed buddy has been horribly misconstrued. And it's in those next 200 pages that we learn the whys and hows of all that and when Kara decides to do something about it.

I think my problem with this one was that it was a little too long. It seriously felt like double the amount of pages it really is with all the tiny text. There was a lot of attention to details that I thought were a little unnecessary, not a whole lot but times like I wished we could just move on. There were also a lot of times when there wasn't any action going on in the story. More like the moments I call "down time", when we see more character development, which is nice too, but then there were moments still when it almost felt like nonsense.

I feel terrible about writing this review, I have loved this series thus far, but this is definitely my least favorite of the series as it stands. There were still plenty of interesting and exciting moments! Like the HOLY COW, I did NOT see that coming, variety that made the story more entertaining. We do meet new characters, such as Mzatal and his summoner Idris, who is a young man with a lot of power and potential. And he happens to be crushing on Kara who is very much his senior.

I don't really want to get too much into the romance in this book. There were plenty of moments scattered throughout, but they kind of annoyed me. Kara was having these sexual encounters after she and Ryan had admitted to loving one another. I guess I am really really old fashion in that way. I just felt like she should've been a little more faithful to him, even if he is a demonic lord himself who doesn't have any memory of being one. Kara just seems to be attracted to demonic lords apparently!

Which was another interesting part of the novel. We now know Ryan is Szerrain but has subjected himself to having that memory removed for his own safety. While Kara is in the demon realm she learns a little more about who Szerain was and all that jazz.

One thing I missed was the mystery element. Sure, there were plenty of secrets that Kara didn't know and had to figure out while in the demon realm, but what I refer to is the actual cop mystery she has to solve. But I can accept the fact that she was in the demon realm, and therefore not at work, so there really wouldn't be a mystery to solve.

The ending was pretty exciting, after only scatterings of action scenes we finally get a doozie of one! Kara is coming into her own and becoming quite the heroine. Her life changes so dramatically it's uncanny! I cannot recognize her from when I read the first book, or even the one before this! A lot went down in the last moments of the book and naturally ended on a cliffhanger.

Despite not thoroughly enjoying this one as I had the past 4 books, I still plan on reading the series. I am hoping this one was just fluke in the not enjoying part and that the next one goes back to being a totally awesome read like its predecessors.


Overall rating 3/5 stars



2 comments:

  1. I really need to get on this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one, I think it was my fav but it's also so different from the others. So I can understand why some aren't so into it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!