Mar 23, 2013

Review--With All My Soul by Rachel Vincent

What does it mean when your school is the most dangerous in America?

It's time to kick some hellion butt...

After not really surviving her junior year (does "undead" count as survival?), Kaylee Cavanaugh has vowed to take back her school from the hellions causing all the trouble. She's going to find a way to run the incarnations of Avarice, Envy amd Vanity against one another in order to preotect her friends and finish this ear, once and forever.

But then she meets Wrath and understands that she's closer to the edge than she's ever been. Amd when one more person close to her is taken, Kaylee realizes that she can't save everyone she loves without risking everything she has...


Wowzers! Rachel Vincent's conclusion to the Soul Screamers series, With All My Soul was truly magical! It was beyond freaking awesome!! I loved every moment of it!

Kaylee and her friends are tired of all the demons terrorizing their lives. Finally, Kaylee decides they have to do something about it. Now. Especially since her high school has been deemed "the most dangerous high school in America. Of its size." And their plan is to turn the hellions against one another, so that their meddling in the lives of humans is put to an end. But it's going to take a lot of work. More than Kaylee realizes. Dealing with hellions can be tricky. When she happens to meet the demon of Wrath, Ira, she finds herself working with him in ways to help put her plan into motion.

But once someone close to her is taken by Avari, the game plan changes drastically and becomes even more dire when two more people close to her are lost to the Netherworld. Yes, life seems to suck for poor Kaylee and she isn't even alive anymore!

Kaylee definitely has a lot on her plate. Besides trying to get rid of the hellions for good, save the people she loves and protect them too, she also has to help Emma's sister Traci who has become pregnant with her dead teacher's baby. Help Emma adjust to her new life being in Lydia's body and deal with her powers that Lydia once had, which becomes extremely difficult, especially when after an incident she is recognized as being Lydia and having once been at Lakeside.

There's just so much that happened in this novel, it's hard to express it without spoilers, but it was purely awesome! Kaylee has a lot of tough decisions she has to make and I really really felt for the girl. But by the end, it was all worth it and Kaylee sees that too, despite everything she had to lose in order to get to that point.

I have truly enjoyed watching how all these characters have grown! There were times that I didn't like Nash and felt like I couldn't trust him. Not just the times when he was taking Demon's Breath and giving his memories of Kaylee away. But in the beginning, when he just suddenly took an interest in Kaylee, I had my suspiscions. But he's definitely grown since then and throughout the series.

Sabine has grown on me too! When we first met her, I naturally didn't care for her since she was trying to rip Kaylee and Nash apart. Not that I was totally team Nash or anything, I just don't like it when someone's so vindictive to try to rip a couple apart so they can have one of them. But through the remaining books I have come to understand and even like Sabine! She's definitely become a favorite character!

Sophie has pretty much taken me by surprise! Who didn't hate her in the beginning of the series?  I guess it wasn't until the end of her novella, Never to Sleep, that I came to sort of liking her. But I definitely liked her in With All My Soul! She's grown quite a bit. She hasn't totally lost all her vices, but she's not so mean anymore and has come to be even friendly! She still retains some of her spunk and spice which is kind of good, because that's what makes her Sophie!

Emma is definitely still the bestest friend ever! She truly cares for Kaylee and has shown it in this entire series. But this time around, Kaylee has to be there for her and help her through her adjusting to a new body and new life. And their friendship just continues to remain strong and I so love that!

Tod. What's there to say about him, other than that he's freaking fantastic!! I love that reaper! I may have been a little delusional in the beginning that he liked Kaylee in that way. And I didn't think Rachel would take the Kaylee and Tod route at the time since Kaylee was alive and Tod was a reaper. But that problem was easily fixed! Tod continues to make me laugh throughout this one, as he did in the whole series. But we also get to see another side to him, a more vulnerable one where he truly lets Kaylee know how much she means to him and that totally made me melt!

The ending was just perfect! I always get worried about how authors will end a series and if I will truly like it. I like to know that my favorite characters that I have come to love over the years are going to be happy in their future--whether we get to hear about it in future books or novellas or not--because that's just the way I am. Who doesn't want to know that the heroes and heroine live happily ever after? That after all they went through they might finally get some peace and a chance for happiness! Needless to say I wasn't disappointed with this one. I don't think I've ever even read a series finale where the ending wasn't absolutely perfect or happy!

With All My Soul was a tremendous read! I have loved this series pretty much since the beginning! I always enjoy diving into a new paranormal read that features a lesser known supernatural entity, but naturally still enjoy the classics with a new twist! The Soul Screamers has been a hell of a ride (no pun intended!) and I happy to have read it!


Overall rating 5/5 stars


7 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for With All My Soul! I LOVE Tod and can't wait to see more of him. I'm kinda sad that the series is coming to an end but I'm glad it ends well. great review Jessica :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous you have already read this!!! I am SOOOO EXCITED!!!! OMG! Someone gets taken by Avari and two more go missing in the Netherworld! It's going to be crazy. Tod is so sweet! I just love him but all the other characters have grown on me to including Sabine. I am so glad you are happy with the ending because I also like to know that when the series is over the characters will finally have peace and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you really loved this one. I have been going back on forth on this series, but now I think I must pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review (an thank you for avoiding spoilers:) So glad you loved it. I really didn't like Sophie much either so it is great that she is redeemed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Jessica! I'm kind of scared to finish this series because I'm not quite ready for it to be over, but I'm glad to hear that the conclusion is phenomenal. The character growth throughout the series for just about all the characters is just awesome. I really hope Rachel Vincent writes another YA series soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely ready to read this book, I honestly was a bit disappointed with before I wake but, I have to find out the conclusion.

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with this series! It's so unique that I'm glad I picked it up. And With All My Soul is a great ending of these books. I absolutely adore Kaylee and Tod, they are perfect, and I also like all the secondary characters.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!