Dec 17, 2018

Review--A Grave Prediction by Victoria Laurie

In Victoria Laurie's latest Psychic Eye Mystery, Abby Cooper learns that following the money often leads to murder....

When Abby is sent to Los Angeles to help train FBI officers to use their intuition, she encounters a case that only she can solve: a series of bank robberies in which the thieves made off with loads of cash but left no clues. Abby's sixth sense leads her team to a tract of land recently cleared for development, where she gets a vision of four buried bodies. However, a site search turns up only ancient bones and pottery from an American Indian tribe, which is enough to delay construction for years.

With a furious developer and dubious FBI agents on her back, Abby is losing credibility fast. But Abby's talent rarely leads her astray, and if the bodies aren't there yet, that means four deaths can still be stopped. She'll just have to dig a little deeper....




I decided it was time to get back to the Psychic Eye series as it's been way too long since I read one of Victoria Laurie's novels! As expected, A Grave Prediction was a delightful paranormal mystery read, light on the paranormal for this series since it stems from Abby's psychic abilities. But it's a series I've been reading for years and I love it to pieces! You can pretty much jump in at any certain point and follow along fairly well, the only thing you really miss out on are the personal connections and relationships Abby develops as well as her friends.

In this one, Abby is sent to LA by the higher ups to help out the FBI office there with "intuition" training. Basically, she's to help them out like she helps out the branch in her hometown. But the LA feds aren't as nice as her coworkers, nor are they as open to psychics either. She's able to win one over with some sound advice on her case, and it's not long before Kelsey's got her back. But when she's trying to help out with a string of bank robberies, her intuition leads her to a clearing where there are at least four bodies. When they get to digging though, the only body they find is that of a Native American from long ago. Which means that Abby's intuition was telling her about bodies that would be bury there sometime in the future.

Having made a bit of a public mockery of things, Abby is "relieved" of her training duties, but she and Candice (who tagged along for moral support despite not being invited or asked by the LA FBI) aren't giving up. There's more to this case then just the robberies and they haven't been able to find the connections yet, but they are trying their best.

And it seems Candice is doing her best to "kill" Abby too. Kill her with exercise! If you've followed this series at any point, you know that Candice is the fitness fiend and Abby...isn't. Yet in this book, Abby is actually exercising and sometimes sorta dieting! Lol. It was a weird transition for Abby and she kind of goes back and forth with the liking it and not liking it, but she wouldn't be Abby if she didn't! 

Since she was separated from Dutch for the near entirety of this novel there was no romance in this one. Though we did get to spend plenty of time with Abby and Candice being besties, so that was fun and refreshing too! I also liked that Kelsey took to them fairly quick. I kind of hope she'll make a pop up appearance in future books as she was generally a decent character and good person!

Mystery wise this one was creepy and edgy! There was murder, robberies, scandals...it's a book that kept me turning the pages, obviously, since I read it all in one day! Woohoo! I haven't done that in ages it feels like! It was amazing to be able to do that again! And clearly, if I was reading this all in one day, it's a book that was fast paced and literally, a page-turner! I've pretty much never read a Victoria Laurie book that wasn't a page-turner! I only have one more Psychic Eye left in my TBR pile, I am not 100% sure if it's the series finale or if Victoria had to take a break from writing this year. Within her newsletter she kind of indicated that things happened this year that kind of threw off her writing game, so in the long run, I hope it means that Abby still has a few adventures left in her! I'm even more glad to know, through that newsletter, that Victoria has things back on track for herself! That's always good to know!

I still can't quite remember how I came to this series exactly. I think I just had the bright cheerful cover pop out at me at Borders one day and I decided to give it a go, because mystery and a psychic? What could go wrong? And I happy to report after 14 books, (so far, since I have one left to read) nothing has! If you're looking for that light and cozy mystery that has an added dose of paranormal tendencies, you can't go wrong with Victoria Laurie! Both her series are incredible and I can never recommend them enough to mystery lovers!



Overall Rating 5/5 stars






1 comment:

  1. I'm also a mystery fan and love that this author writes page-turners that you don't want to stop reading. These books would be awesome to stick in between my contemporary reads.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!