Feb 19, 2019

Let's Discuss: How I Came Back to YA

Once upon a time, there was a reader who lived to read paranormal books. But sadly, she soon discovered that the YA shelves at Borders didn't have a lot to offer, so she gave up on YA and went over to the "adult" books where there were plenty of choices. Then one day, when she was a member of The Pride (a now deceased discussion board that was tied to Rachel Vincent's The Pride series) some friends recommend a YA book to her. One that was about VAMPIRES! 


How I Came Back to YA


So yes, when I was in my late teen years, I had given up on the YA genre. There just wasn't a lot of paranormal books to choose from or read. And I couldn't handle reading the contemporary books anymore. So I started reading the "adult" books but then it was recommend to me on The Pride that I really ought to try reading Vampire Academy. I had just started blogging at this point as I do have that review on my blog, I won't recommend reading it as it's a review from year 1! So tread at your own risk! Lol.

Anyway, I remember buying a copy and reading it and just being like WOAH!! I immediately bought the next two and then I screamed! I screamed loud and bloody! I might have asked my friends why they didn't tell me to pace myself as the fourth book wouldn't release for over a month. Yes, my wait wasn't that long, but still. I should've been told to pace myself! Lol.

Anyway, after I read that series, I discovered that there was a handful more paranormal books that released in recent years, really probably that year and maybe 2008. I started picking them up one by one and discovering magical read after magical read and omg I realized that the genre I had been waiting for was FINALLY kicking off!

So that is the book that got me to read YA once more! Over the years I would read about 50/50 of adult and YA books, though in recent years I've been reading more YA as it seemed a lot of my authors who wrote both either switched to YA full time or they're just not writing anymore in general. Granted I do have a lot of backlist titles to read that are adult books that I really want to read and hope to do so prior to death. Fingers crossed! Lol!






2 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you found people in the community that pointed you in the right direction. When I started pleasure reading again, I picked up my daughter's books, which were all YA fantasies/paranormals/dystopians. I read some adult books, mostly romances, but I just enjoy YA books more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very first review on my blog was a Vampire Academy book!!! I think it was like book three or something---I had no idea what I was doing. Now it seems so weird to randomly start reviewing at book three. LOL!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!