Mar 15, 2019

Review--Every Breath You Take by Chris Marie Green

The author of the Vampire Babylon series and Only the Good Die Young presents another ghost story...

Ever wonder what happens after you die? Well, as a ghost, Jensen Murphy could tell you—and the truth is much stranger than anything you could imagine…

I never accomplished much when I was alive. As an average eighties California beach bum, I, Jensen Murphy, didn’t have any direction. But since I’ve joined Boo World, I’ve found a calling. Now, I’m a supernatural investigator, using my ghostly skills to spook confessions out of bad guys.

But being a paranormal PI is taking its toll. Spirits are hounding me for justice day and night, and, now, a ghost hunting TV show is digging up dirt on my unsavory demise that I’d rather keep buried. Worst of all, a seriously evil specter is making my afterlife hell by hurting the people and ghosts I care about. To stop him, I’ll need assistance from a higher power—only the price I’ll have to pay for that help could be my very soul…


After many years, I finally return to Jensen Murphy, Ghost for Hire trilogy by Chris Marie Green! Every Breath You Take is the final installment and all loose ends are tied and wrapped up in neat little bows, just the way I like my series finales!

Jensen has been helping out other ghosts lately as has been her way, but this time, she will need all the help. It's time to find out who murdered her all those years ago in the Elfin Forest. But that's a mystery that won;t be easily solved. Though whoever did her in is one powerful nasty, it has the power to make itself look like other spirits, so basically, Jensen can't trust any of her friends. But she's going to need all the help she can get in order to find this bad spirit and take him down.

Jensen is also still fighting her feelings for Gavin, the very live human who has started dating her best friend from life, Suze. Talk about your major complications, considering the couple is basically a ghost and a human. Add in the mystery entity, Not Dean, who continues to remain a presence in Jensen's afterlife things are pretty tense! I mean when you think about it, it's not really a love triangle. Yes, there's this bizarre connection going on with  Jensen and Gavin, but you have to think, is there a future for them? I mean, unless Gavin plans to die, I'd say the answer is no. I've only ever once saw a relationship between a ghost and human make it...and it's been years since I read that one to remember how it worked, but I know it happened! Lol! So I wouldn't really say there's a love triangle in the midst, because honestly!

Diving back into this one nearly 5 years later, after I read the second book, wasn't easy. I wasn't feeling the series re-read because, yeah, that's just daunting. So I dove in with basically no memory of anything, other than Jensen being a ghost who was murdered in the 80s. Surprisingly, it wasn't too hard getting back into the swing of things. The book did well to catch you up on the main events, which I took in stride, the second book was more blurry to me than the first, weird that.

The pacing to this one was pretty good. For the majority of the novel, we're trying to figure out who killed Jensen all that time ago and then realizing whoever it is, is one big baddie and powerful to boot. She can't trust her ghostly friends anymore because they could be the big bad. Then you add in Not Dean making his popup appearances and speaking in riddles and trying to get Jensen to join his "star collection." Since with a poor memory, I couldn't really remember Not Dean's character all that well and why I wasn't supposed to trust him, I still didn't quite get why he wanted Jensen in his collection, I mean I did, but I didn't. Having his identity revealed in the end was ultra shocking and just full of wows! I really liked that twist!

The mystery resolution was an eye-opener! I mean it wasn't one you could foresee really because the whodunit isn't someone we know really. It was still mind-blowing in some ways and still something to give you chills in the end. The ending itself wasn't over just with that reveal and the ending that comes after was even more shocking! Though, admittedly I started to suspect that this was an eventuality and when it came to fore I wasn't really shocked, but still surprised I guess. Lol.

All in all, Every Breath You Take was a great series ender to Jensen's story! Having a "ghost" story was quite refreshing as a reader would think a ghost couldn't have much of a story character wise. Chris Marie Green proves that notion wrong! I've read a handful of ghosts books in my reading life and all have been different in their own way. Some had ghosts as a main character and some as a strong secondary. This is one series you will want to read if you want to see what happens when a ghost is fighting for her HEA ending in eternity! 


Overall Rating 4/5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!