Jan 21, 2023

Review--Seasons of the Storm by Elle Cosimano

 

One cold, crisp night, Jack Sommers was faced with a choice—live forever according to the ancient, magical rules of Gaia, or die.

Jack chose to live, and in exchange, he became a Winter—an immortal physical embodiment of the season on Earth. Every year, he must hunt the Season who comes before him. Summer kills Spring. Autumn kills Summer. Winter kills Autumn. And Spring kills Winter.

Jack and Fleur, a Winter and a Spring, fall for each other against all odds. To be together, they’ll have to escape the cycle that’s been forcing them apart. But their creator won’t let them go without a fight.

 

 

 

 

 

Elle Cosimano's Seasons of the Storm was a vastly unique tale that took the changing of the seasons to a whole new level! I'll admit, I didn't really know what to expect when I started this one! I knew that I enjoyed some of Cosimano's previous books, so I was eager for her take on the semi-fantasy tale. While this was an intriguing story, I couldn't help but get a little confused at times. Although, looking back, I know the high times when I was reading I was getting distracted by other things throughout the week, so perhaps I wasn't in the right reading environment this week.

I guess in part, not quite understanding how there are many "masters of the seasons" was what led to some confusion. There's a whole team of powerful people who rule the season in whatever city/state/area they are assigned to. So while we like to think of Jack Frost as Mr. Winter...well, there are other "deities" of the season, so to speak.

We learn how one becomes one of these guardian type figures of the season when we see Jack as a human and how he died and soon became gifted with the power of winter. He and the other seasons work for Chronos--yes, THAT Chronos and help to keep their season running smoothly in whatever place they are assigned to. But when it comes time for the "changing of the seasons," the next season is to hunt the previous one down and kill them...thus ending that season and letting the new one shine on. Kind of makes you look at Groundhog Day differently now when winter will last longer or spring will come sooner, doesn't it?

Though, after so many years, Jack finds himself tiring of this lifestyle. Mainly because he is falling in love with the spring girl who always hunts him down and kills him. Fleur has always been the spring that takes over for his area and somewhere during the years, the two had formed a kind of friendship, as much as one can when seasons are not supposed to interact with their counterparts. Naturally, the feelings that are growing between Fleur and Jack are strictly forbidden, so Jack decides that they will have to run away, run away from Chronos, run away from it all. 

Working together with their fall and summer counterparts, Amber and Julio, they four escape along with their "handlers," their sort of personal assistant who helps to guide them back to life after they've been "killed." So eight teenagers run from their immortal prison and escape into the real world, just trying to find a place where they can be on their own and experience freedom from the harsh lifestyle Chronos demands of them.

There was a lot more planning to this escape plan of theirs and it takes awhile for it to come into action. I'm honestly not sure where my mind was at the start of this novel, as I'm struggling to piece everything together. It was definitely one of those books I could follow along easily enough, but trying to explain to someone what exactly I was reading is becoming a bit more difficult. I think some of my "distracted reading" at the start of the novel really hindered my comprehension of the world building that was laid out in the beginning chapters. I have a vague enough idea of what was what that got me through things but trying to rehash that here is a tad more difficult. This is definitely a book you need to read with your full attention that's for sure.

I enjoyed the dual point of view with Fleur and Jack. At times, I did wish I could know more what was going on with Amber and Julio as the four were together for 2/3 of the novel for the most part and naturally, since Jack and Fleur were meant to be paired up, Amber and Julio paired up as well. Nothing makes the heart grow fonder when you're forced to kill the other time and time, and time again! Lol. But really, at least with Jack and Fleur, watching their romance come together was a slow gradual thing and it was quite sweet!

As far as pacing goes, I'd say it was a pretty moderate pace for it's not long before the quartet is constantly on the run from Chronos' lackeys. There were a few more secrets and twists thrown in for good measure and I must say, I did not see that ending coming! Things ended on a high note for the most part! I was actually a bit surprised there was a sequel as things seem pretty settled when the final page comes about. I'll be interested to see what new problems arise and what goes down in all that!

Seasons of the Storm was definitely a different kind of read. It was unique and enjoyable even if I did find myself a bit distracted this week! I am looking forward to seeing what will happen in the next installment for sure!


Overall Rating 3.5/5 stars







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!