Apr 29, 2024

Deck of Cards Book Challenge

 

So I saw this challenge on Instagram from @NurseKendraReads and thought it looked like fun! Not sure where it originated as it was an Instagram post and I didn't want to limit myself to the TBR books I had on hand, so I thought I'd just make it a blog post!

 

 

KING
a big book

I decided to go with "read" books and I chose the longest book I've read to date which was Winter by Marissa Meyer! It clocks in at 827 pages! Now I could've read something longer pre-Goodreads records, I think The Count of Monte Cristo was 1000+ but that sometimes depends on which edition you've read. Apparently my ebook of Oblivion was 1,000+ pages, but that's ebook pages and I don't know what that equates to in real book pages...so I'm sticking with real books as well! Lol.



QUEEN
a pretty book

I think I will always be in love with the cover of 13 to Life by Shannon Delany! It just captivated me! I remember seeing it on swag tables at my first RT Conference and I had to know more! I found that author on "signing day," and even though the book wasn't set to release until the following month, I still got a ton of signed swag from her with the cover art all over! I just loved the colors, the moon, the woods...just that feeling you knew you were getting a werewolf book!



JOKER
a book I thought I'd love, but didn't

Well, that one took digging! So I basically went to Goodreads and browsed through my 1 star reviews and found The Missing Season by Gillian French. I went into this one thinking it would be an eerie thriller, maybe with a supernatural twist. I didn't get any of that. Based on my review, it took 200 pages of contemporary nonsense before anything exciting happened in a 304 page book! So yeah, this was definitely a disappointment.



ACE
a short book

So for this one, I didn't want to choose a novella, as I feel like that's "cheating," so to speak. I mean, yes, it's a story in bookish form...but the novellas I read were always "bonus" ebook stories. So, again, I feel like the page number is skewed. I don't know. It's one of the issues I have with ebooks, I like knowing my actual page number and ebooks and physical books don't tend to line up. At least not the ones I've dealt with! So as I was scrolling and scrolling through Goodreads, I was encountering a LOT of novellas, lots! Tons! Then there were the graphic novels I've read and comic books...again, don't really want to count those, because that's a different story format entirely! So I ended up with Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater Rhodes from my youth! This was SO short compared to YA books of today! It came in at 176 pages according to Goodreads and I do remember it was under 200 in real life. Goodreads doesn't always have accurate numbers. But obviously for this challenge, I am relying on them for said numbers!



HEARTS
a romance book


So I'm not a big "romance" reader, but I like books with romance in it! Lol. So yes, readers know the difference when one says that! One book I loved and loved the romance of was Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost! One of my favorite vampire books and still is to date! I need to get going on those Bones' books from his pov. 



CLUBS
a book outside my usual genre

Well, at first glance, The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy by Megan Bannen doesn't really sound like my kind of read. But it was one of the first Fairy Loot Adult picks and I ended up getting it before I canceled my subscription. I thought it sounded interesting enough so I thought why not. It was actually pretty cute all things considered. There was still enough paranormally goodness in the story with the cute romance happening that I was pretty well entertained! You can bet I'll be ordering the spinoff as well!



DIAMONDS
a predicted 5 star read

Without a doubt in my mind do I think Stephanie Garber's Spectacular will be anything less than a 5 star read! If you know me at all you know how much I LOVE this world Stephanie has created!



SPADES
a book with nature on the cover

So ironically when I was scrolling for another book I left the page right near Foxglove by Adalyn Grace! Not only does it have flowers on the cover, but the title itself is naturey. I still need to read this one, hopefully soon since the final book comes out this year as well!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!