Apr 23, 2024

Let's Discuss: Missing the Author Cons

 

So as the internet prepares for Apollycon, an event I soooo wanted to go to but failed to get tickets--again, I found myself in a spiral of mini depression. I miss the big multi-author events like book conventions. Don't get me wrong, I realize that they are still out there, but alas, every time I look them up, I see maybe 1 or 2 authors I read in attendance! I'm all for learning about new authors, but with steep convention fees, adding travel and food expenses...I feel like there needs to be a greater attendance of "my" favorite authors there in order for me to justify going.


Missing the Author Cons


I am deeply in remorse for the loss of Romantic Times Booklovers Convention! These were so incredibly fun and was always devastated at their disbandment. Every year the convention would be held in a different city, so you'd get to go somewhere new and the ones I attended were always fun! I loved the panels and learning more about the craft. I loved seeing sooo many authors I read all in one place! It was a fantastic time.

Perhaps nowadays it's that my favorite authors aren't into attending the big cons anymore and I can get that. I get running them is super expensive too, which is why it always cost 6 arms and 4 legs to attend (and again that's including all the costs! Convention fees, hotel fees, travel fees, food costs...it's a LOT!). But I loved being able to meet so many authors in one place! It kind of made up for not being able to see them on individual tours.

But alas, it's like conventions are a thing of the past. Yes, again, I know we do still have some around! And believe me I look at nearly all of them! I check the author listing and while I usually find 2-3 authors I'd love to meet, plus maybe 1 or 2 I have met in attendance, when I add up estimated costs for travel and such...I just can't justify it for the maybe 3 total authors.

I truly, truly long to attend Apollycon at least once. I had always held out on hope that it would "travel" to new cities like they originally said it would. But then they made DC the permanent home. I had then hoped the one and done Origin event could've taken off more as the "mini-Apollycon" that would happen annually and be the one that "traveled." But even that didn't take off like I had hoped. True, I would've loved a longer event, but at least the big meet and greet of authors was a fun time!

Anyone else attend the only twice ever NOLA Story Con? I attended the first one and it was amazing! I wanted to go the following year, but alas I couldn't convince my parents for a return trip just a year later. It just worked out that one year that my stepdad wanted to meet up with one of his Coast Guard buddies who was in NOLA at the time. That was a fun weekend! We're talking mini RT levels! I got to meet a handful of new authors and see ones I hadn't seen since my last RT that was actually in NOLA as well! Lol. Fun times! Truly FUN TIMES!

It's these large events that I love the most! You get to see the most authors and you get to meet so many other readers. But it's becoming more a thing of the past I guess. Again, yes, there are still tons of other cons, but they too are rightfully costly. I just wish there were more of the authors I read (whether trad or indie) in attendance that it would help to justify the cost. Sadly, most of the ones I've been eyeing don't even have day passes so I can't even go for a day...which would still be rather costly since flights are so expensive leaving St. Louis. It's like the city doesn't want you to leave! Lol.


Anyone else miss these larger author conventions? Or events? Did you ever attend any? I can remember so many other "cons" or "large events" as well that are no longer in running or if they are, the attendance is filled with totally new to me authors, so once again, can't justify the several hundreds of dollars it would cost to fly and hotel stay for totally new to me people. If they were local, it would be a different story of course, but tragically, nothing like that ever happens in St. Louis. Although we did get one teen author event that has ran for 2 years now. Hopefully this year will bring more authors I know to make it a fun day. We'll see I guess!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!