Mar 9, 2012

Friday Hops

This is a weekly blog meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

Here are the general rules to Follow Friday:
1. Follow the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts and any one else you want to follow on the list
2. Follow our Featured Bloggers
3. Put your Blog name & URL in the Linky thing.
4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments
5. Follow Follow Follow as many as you can
6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the Love...and the followers
7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
8. If your new to the follow Friday hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!


This week's question is: Have you ever looked at book’s cover and thought, This is going to horrible? But, was instead pleasantly surprised? Show us the cover and tell us about the book.


MY ANSWER: OOoh tough one. Okay please do not get too riled up about this. When I saw this cover I wasn't thinking it was going to be "horrible", I was more worried that there would be so much sex in it that I was going to not like it and regret buying it. I don't like too much romance and sex in my novels. I much prefer action, particularly not in the bedroom. Sex scenes are fine and all and I do enjoy reading them when they popup but sometimes there is just too much in the few that I've read. So here it is:

I had already became addicted to Jeaniene's Night Huntress series, and was excited for the spinoff, yet when I saw this cover, I hesitated a little. Wondering if she was going to throw more sex into the pages. But my worries were undaunted! Jeaniene did not disappoint! First Drop of Crimson kicked ass!

It's not the best example, but the only one I could really think of! That goes with a few of the paranormal romance cover types I see. If the characters look like they are about to get hot heavy or something, I hesitate, but I am usually totally surprised by the lack of sex scenes there are!


TGIF is a weekly feature created and hosted by GReads! that re-caps the week’s posts and has different question each week.


This week's question is: Promote An Author: Is there a particular author you wish got more recognition? Pick one author & tell us why we should read their work.


MY ANSWER: OOoh I like this one! One author that I totally totally LOVE is Maria V. Snyder! She rocks!!! Even met her two times, of course I had to travel to get to her, but it was worth it! She's literally one of my most favorite authors! And her books don't even have vampires or supernatural peeps!

Yes, that's right! I am in love with her books and there's no paranormal dudes! Instead she created this magical world--quite literally, in a literary sense!--where magic exists. But here being known as a magician isn't always a good thing!

Her first heroine, Yelena learns she has powers and she does her best to keep them secret...but you know how that works out! In the meantime she works as a food taster, taking bites of the Captain's food to test for poisons. And life becomes quite engaging and dangerous for Yelena! And there's a stunning cast of secondary characters! The oh-so-yummy Valek! And my favorite, Janco!! He is seriously funny! He's the humor of the novel! When in doubt, Janco will help you out!

And yes the rhyme was intentional!! Janco is all about rhymes when he's fighting bad guys, which is more often than not! And the rhymes can really help him out and keep his focus and throw the bad guy off course! Who expects an opponent to start sprouting off rhymes when in combat?!

Her second trilogy focuses on another character from the same world. So a lot of the same characters are there, and we meet new ones!! The Glass trilogy was awesome as well since Opal knew of her gift. She's different from Yelena, more timid, but she grows to be fierce!

And her YA series, only two books at the moment is a total different spin. It's more futuristic without knowing its futuristic. Then again, maybe it's not! Time is hard to conceive here, but the story is awesome! Trella is Queen of the Pipes in her home. There's segregation between Scrubs and Uppers and yet there is so much mystery of the unknown going on! It's fantastic!! Surprises at every turn! I sure hope the publishers will buy more books from Maria, because I truly love this series!

And finally her most recent series starts off with Touch of Power! Another incredible read filled with magic. Although not with the characters we knew and loved! But we meet new ones and they are still lovable! I see Janco in a few of them myself! Here Avry has the ability to heal. But since magic is still seen as bad, she is always running. Yet she is soon abducted--abducted from a prison, I might add--and her kidnappers--or rescuers--want her to heal someone. Someone she does not like at all!

That's the most I can rave about Maria's books without getting into spoiler territory and I think I've rambled enough as it is!!



17 comments:

  1. oh Jessica, Yes poor Spades got a raw deal with that cover. I had it from library but my time ran out and had to return it. It is kinda Fabio gone wrong with a Mills and Boon ish fantasy thing going on. Deary me did Spades get a raw deal. I didn't even imagine him looking like that, I am nervous for Mencheres as I haven't got that from library yet. Mind you I am sitting here looking at The Bite Before Christmas and yup!! that one went a bit squiffy too:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Just noticed you have Darynda Jones in the right side bar. I have just about finished the 2nd book in series ( my library will be hunting me down) and Love Charley her dialogue is hilarious, and I have book 3 ready to go.

    Hope you are enjoying the series:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I posted 2 covers and one of them is another Jeaniene Frost book, lol!

    New follower!

    Here's our FF

    Jamie@Addicted2Heroines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, and YES on Spade's cover. I put off reading that book for so long simply because the cover. Of course, now I've it twice so you know the cover really doesn't do it justice!

    I haven't read Maria, but I want to. If I could just make it through my ever growing TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look like it would have a lot of sex in it. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed it in the end !! Thanks for popping over, now following you via New linky followers hoping you can follow back at http://www.beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh that cover's bad! The poor guy's head looks to be at a *really* uncomfortable angle! It's good that you enjoyed the book at the end of the day, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, yes, that cover definitely makes it seem like they'll be lots of sex scenes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha I love paranormal romance covers because sometimes they're just so hilariously ridiculous. Those are the kinds of books that I don't read in public because people TOTALLY judge them by their covers, haha.

    I actually have Poison Study on my shelf! It's been there for ages and I really want to read it, but you know how it is with the mile-long TBR list. I'll get to it eventually though.

    I'm so glad you've read Vivian! It's rare to find someone who knows her. And yeah, the end of Companions of the Night is kind of sad, but I think it's also realistic, which I really like. It's not the typical YA vampire "Oh we're in love, our love will overcome everything, we're going to make it work even though it's impossible" kind of thing. Which is nice to read about sometimes, of course. :P

    Thanks for stopping by! Old follower. :)
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for dropping by my blog :-) Happy Friday!
    I, too, had trouble coming up with a book cover I found "horrible" (BUT loved the story). It's more the case of "didn't like the cover all that much", but the book itself was great.
    Frost rocks btw!!! :-)
    _yay_ (old follower)
    BookthatThing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cover scares me a bit! New follower. Here’s my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I agree with you so much. It bothers me, when the cover of the book is as misleading or makes you think it's going to be chalk full of something that you don't really prefer that much. I'm glad that it didn't disappoint, I've been meaning to get into her Night Huntress series. I've heard fabulous things about it. :)

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung
    My Follow & Feature Hops!
    H A P P Y R E A D I N G ! ! !
    susanhaugland@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! I actually have that book! I hope I like it more than I liked the cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, First Drop of Crimson's cover is a little too much! Yes, the guy is a hottie... but I don't like it that his hand seems like a claw on the girl's shoulder! I really love Maria V. Snyder too! Poison Study is one of my favorite all-time books! <3

    New follower here! :)

    my follow friday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hopping through. Yay Maria Snyder! I loved Poison Study and Touch of Power.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read the Jeaniene Frost spin off series yet but I LOVE Night Huntress so I really should. But I'm not too crazy about that cover. It's okay, kind of hot, but nothing special! Thanks for visiting My FF and I'm of course already following you :-) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, I agree about the first cover, so cheesy!
    The Succubus series by Richelle Mead is awesome! I'm glad it had a happy ending.
    Old follower.
    Nereyda @Mostly YA Book Obsessed

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!