Mar 15, 2012

Random Thursday

Saturday is St. Patrick's Day! Yay for wearing green! Being part Irish and all, I wear green. But what else goes on this day? Besides parades and excuses to get drunk--really, why do people need an excuse? They do it anyway!

We know that it's the day to celebrate St. Patrick, when he led the snakes out of Ireland. Good for him, I hate snakes! And apparently when celebrating this holiday during Lent, the rule about not eating meat is waived! So people can eat, drink and be merry!

So I looked up a few facts about St. Patty's Day on History.com and came up with a few that were pretty interesting! Like did you know that 34.7 million people in the US have Irish ancestry? That's more than 7 times the population in Ireland!

Corned beef is one of the most popular foods to eat on this day. As is Irish Soda Bread--I remember we always had a lot of that when I worked in the bakery department at the grocery store. And people bought a ton of it! Do you know how it got its name? Well according to the website, it's became when baking, they used baking soda as a leavening agent instead of yeast!

There are 7 cities in the US with the name Shamrock and sixteen places in the US also have the name Dublin! 

And those are just some of the fun facts that the website has! Since it is History.com I feel pretty confident in its accuracy!


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow - I so forgot that St. Patty's day is this Saturday! In that case, as being part Irish myself, I need to get the fixings for corn beef and cabbage. So yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!