Nov 20, 2023

Let's Discuss: Reading Order

 

So I am struggling to even come up with a title for this one as I am not sure what you would call it. But you know when you have a series that an author writes where it's almost not even a series just a set of standalones, but they seem to go together. Perhaps it has to do with the similar cover theme that they share. Do you ever read those in a specific order?


Reading Order


So the author I am looking at in particular for this example is Rachel Hawkins! I read The Wife Upstairs earlier this year and enjoyed it and have bought the next two books that she wrote in this mystery genre, but haven't gotten to them yet. I will likely buy her new release next year as well at some point. But it makes me wonder...does anyone else ever feel compelled to read these in publishing order? I know you don't have to. That as far as I can see (since I've only read the one book so far) that these stories aren't going to be connected in any way either. So I am not technically "missing" things by reading them in any order.

But try telling my brain that. I have a bit of an OCD problem. Although ironically, it's "mostly" contained to my books. Yes, I have other quirks that one may call behavioral traits of OCD as well, but that's not the point. Lol. For some reason I just feel compelled to read books in the order that they came out in. Whether they are a series or not. I've learned some series are fashioned in a way that while they can be considered standalones, some characters crossover into other stories and while you wouldn't be spoiled entirely on whatever they went through, things do get mentioned that would make me think "what are you talking about?"

That is just one example of why I read standalones in publishing order! Lol! Although there is a series I am still in the midst of reading, though I haven't picked one up in awhile that were published in a completely different order, so I decided to follow the author's recommended reading order on that one! And yes, it's been so long I don't really remember what's what when it comes to events. But it's not a huge deal when it comes to comprehension. It was just something I decided to do when I picked up the series. I even put post its on the covers so I knew which one to pick up next as I knew my reading schedule was hectic! Lol!

So yes, I tend to read in publishing order unless the author states otherwise. Lol. I don't know why I feel compelled to do this. I guess also in part it's to see the author's writing journey as well. Even though with Hawkins she's a seasoned writer. But still, it's just a reading quirk of mine! I basically will always read in publishing order unless the author happens to recommend another way for easier comprehension or if it's the way they envisioned them to be for whatever reason!

 

What about you? Do you always read in publishing order for a set of standalones? Or do you just pick them up in whatever way sounds more intriguing?

 

 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!