Oct 4, 2024

Re-Review--Caraval by Stephanie Garber

 

A legendary competition.
A mesmerizing romance.
An unbreakable bond
between two sisters.


Scarlett Dragna has never left the tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval—the faraway, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show—are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt-of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. Nevertheless she becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic. And whether Caraval is real or not, Scarlett must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over or a dangerous domino effect of consequences will be set off, and her beloved sister will disappear forever.

Welcome, welcome to Caraval . . . beware of getting swept too far away.



So yeah I decided to re-read Stephanie Garber’s Caraval trilogy in anticipation for Spectacular’s release near the end of the month. I had anticipated devoting a week to each book because my work is in the busy season and yet I find myself finished with Caraval at least a day early!

I mean what more can I say about this series and this book in particular? Needless to say I was reminded with how much I absolutely love this series! I have a somewhat shoddy memory at times but I could remember the main details of the story, so while I wasn’t taken completely by surprise this go around I was able to see things early on. Like different little hints that make more sense down the road. It was great! Lol.

I positively love the sisterly bond between Scarlett and Tella! That still has not changed! These are sisters who would do anything for the other, like having an argument about who their abusive father would punish. Each one is willing to take the hit to protect the other. 

If you’re new here, let me tell you that Stephanie Garber’s books are among my absolute favorites! I don’t do much re-reading these days but Stephanie has a way of getting me to do just that! In this story we see Scarlett enter a game to solve a mystery and find her sister before time runs out and the winner gets a wish. Scarlett has plans to marry a count within a week and she knows the marriage is the best chance she and Tella have at escaping her father. 

But needless to say, the game is more challenging and dangerous than Scarlett expected. 

Then of course there’s Julian, the enigmatic boy who confounds her and makes her heart flutter all while driving her crazy!

Caraval remains to be a book of pure magic! Once again I was held captivated by the magic and mystery of Stephanie’s worlds. The endearing sisterly bond and the heartfelt romance were added bonuses! 

Now onto Legendary to revisit from favorite Dragna sister!


Overall Rating remains 5/5 stars








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!