Mar 23, 2018

Review--Torn by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Torn between duty and survival, nothing can be the same.

Everything Ivy Morgan thought she knew has been turned on its head. After being betrayed and then nearly killed by the Prince of the Fae, she’s left bruised and devastated—and with an earth-shattering secret that she must keep at all costs. And if the Order finds out her secret, they’ll kill her.

Then there’s Ren Owens, the sexy, tattooed Elite member of the Order who has been sharing Ivy’s bed and claiming her heart. Their chemistry is smoking hot, but Ivy knows that Ren has always valued his duty to the Order above all else—he could never touch her if he knew the truth. That is, if he let her live at all. Yet how can she live with herself if she lies to him?

But as the Fae Prince begins to close in, intent on permanently opening the gates to the Otherworld, Ivy is running out of options. If she doesn’t figure out who she can trust—and fast—it’s not only her heart that will be torn apart, but civilization itself.



In the midst of trying to figure out what to read before I start planning for my reading of books for the next signing, I decided it was FINALLY time to finish Jennifer L. Aremntrout’s Wicked series! For that I had to start with Torn as I had only read Wicked previously. Naturally, there are no recaps for the new adult or adult books (that I could find) so I had no concrete memory of the first book sadly since I read it way back in 2014, but for some reason, I was still able to dive right back into the series as we pick up where we left off. And as the story moved along, I was able to recall what had gone down the first go around.

Ivy has just learned that she is in fact the Halfling that everyone thought was Val, her best friend who ended up betraying her and the Order to the Prince. Ivy knows that she will have to keep this a closely guarded secret from everyone or else it will cost her her life. Lying to Ren though is the last thing she wants to do as the two of them have only continued to grow closer.

But Ivy’s secret will be the least of her problems as the Prince from the Otherworld is free and he’s going to be coming after Ivy for there’s a prophecy about where the Halfling the bears the Prince’s child will open the gates to the Otherworld permanently, letting all the fae free into the human world. But she has to willing consent to such an act, which gives Ivy some sense of safety, but as the reader we know better.

Things were incredibly intense in this one for now Ivy knows what she is and is terrified of telling Ren but at the same time wants to be completely honest with him. Things are a wreck as the Order is trying to hunt Val down for they believe she’s the Halfling. This was a most intense read for there was a lot of secrets coming about in this book, ones being held, ones being revealed, and more being exposed. It made for a thrilling read! Every time something caused an interruption with my progress, I grew very irate because omg, this is a Jennifer L. Armentrout book! Leave me alone world! Lol!

It wasn’t long before I remembered my undying love for the brownie that is Tink! He is such a riot, a brownie with an Amazon Prime shopping problem! Ordering things that are way too big for his little size! I was amazed to find that Tink plays a bigger role in this story than he did last time. At least, I am pretty sure he wasn’t as present in the previous book. His character is involved a bit more in the storyline this time I feel like and of course his continued arguments with Ren are to die for!

Naturally with any JLA book you are guaranteed to be swept off your feet with a sizzling and heartfelt romance! It never ceases to amaze me how much I swoon with her books, but yeah, each new book boyfriend I gain is a JLA one! Ren is just an amazing guy. There’s not much else to say. There was a series of conflict in this one that jeopardized Ivy and Ren’s relationship that had me worried for quite a while. I won’t touch on it more than that. Regardless of that factor the romance before the conflict was absolutely stunning and I loved it!

The tension in this one was rather thick. We have Ivy on a mission to find Val and before we know it that part comes to a conclusion and we have the Prince left to deal with. There were some things that happened that I was able to see coming and I kid you not, I was legit shouting out loud at the characters when these things were happening, trying to steer them in the right direction. Yeah. Needless to say the plot kept me very hooked and very involved! Lol!

The ending was another surprise though one I was halfway anticipating. It’s setting things up for what is sure to be an epic finale! The best part about waiting to read a book or series is that you can binge through all the way if you time it right! So now I will be happily diving into the final book of the series and see what will come about, hoping that Ivy saves the world in time! Torn was yet another book that I easily fell in love with which once again reminds me why Jennifer L. Armentrout will always remain on my favorite author list!


Overall Rating 5/5 stars





 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read many books about the Fae. The ones I did have them as dangerous and often evil. This sounds interesting:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!