Nov 20, 2012

Review--Biting Cold by Chloe Neill

Turned into a vampire against her will, twenty-eight-year-old Merit found her way into the dark circle of Chicago’s vampire underground, where she learned there was more to supernaturals than met the eye—and more supernaturals than the public ever imagined.And not all the secrets she learned were for sharing—among humans or inhumans. Now Merit is on the hunt, charging across the stark American Midwest, tailing a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world. But Merit is also the prey. An enemy of Chicagoland is hunting her, and he’ll stop at nothing to get the book for himself. No mercy allowed.

No rules apply. No lives spared. The race is on.




Chloe Neill's Biting Cold picks up right where we left off in Drink Deep. Ethan is back in action, he and Merit are trying to out chase Mallory, who's gone rogue and beat her to the Maleficium. But before they can even get to where the book is located, they run into Tate.

I've read a few reviews on this book prior to starting it, and I too, have to agree on how suddenly the Mallory issue is resolved. For the most part. The chase to get to the Maleficium and stop Mallory doesn't last long at all. Before the one hundred page mark, the "chase" is over and done and Mallory is left in some sort of shell shocked state.

But Merit's troubles are far from over of course! Something happened with Tate and the book, something that changed him. It definitely proposes a new problem for Merit, among the many she already had! Such as Ethan still having some bizarre connection to Mallory and because of this said connection--it's not a romantic one or anything, but it's like he's almost her familiar, but he's not--he refuses to be with Merit, because he's afraid he might hurt her. All this happens after one almost lovin' scene! So yeah, Ethan was a little infuriating and Merit definitely agrees!

The main battle at hand is sort of spoilery, so I won't get into it, but I will say it involves Tate in a way! There's also still House trouble, as the next book House Rules will provide us. Darius is deciding the fate of Cadogan House and whether or not they will remain the GP's good graces. Although, with the title of the next book, I was able to make my own conclusion, but I guarantee it's not what you're thinking!

The pacing was fairly good in this book. Not truly a fast paced read, but not dragging either. So one of those books that falls nicely into the middle! The characters, as always, do nothing but delight me! Except Ethan, who infuriates me, remember? My heart ached for Mallory and Catcher, as I found their relationship sweet, yet due to her actions, they are headed for troubled waters.

The ending was done nice as well! The main issue was solved with a few little things left dangling, likely to be put aside til the next book. There was one thing though that is driving me crazy! It seems like it would be mundane and not really going to lead to anything, but the way Chloe wrote it, makes me think that this teeny, tiny little no-diddity, may mean something in some way eventually! Yes, I know I am being totally vague, but it is a tad spoilery so I don't want to say what this little thing was.

Plus there are the obvious cliffhangers that makes you wonder what Merit will be getting into next. Overall this was an enjoyable read and another great edition to the series. 


Overall rating 4/5 stars






8 comments:

  1. I'm not very much familiar with this series but man this sounds amazing.

    great review as always.

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to start this series... I know I'm so late but I have the 3 first books at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet! :( I wasn't thrilled with the ending of the last book so that might be why I didn't rush to get this one. I'll get to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to hear its well paced and you enjoyed the ending. I haven't read this series, but have heard a lot about it.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to read this series but based on all the great things I hear, I can't wait to pick it up! Glad you enjoyed this one, aside from the Mallory issue! Can't wait to read this! Fantabulous Review, Jessica! :D

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book as soon as it came out and like all of the other book in this series I love it. Merit and Ethan relationship makes the series what I love the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also read this book when it first came out. This was not my favorite book in the series. Ethan annoyed me so much in this one. He is a four hundred year old vampire. No tantrums allowed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!