Nov 9, 2012

Follow Friday

This is a weekly blog meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.


Here are the general rules to Follow Friday:
1. Follow the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts and any one else you want to follow on the list
2. Follow our Featured Bloggers
3. Put your Blog name & URL in the Linky thing.
4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments
5. Follow Follow Follow as many as you can
6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the Love...and the followers
7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
8. If your new to the follow Friday hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!


This week's question is: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfic?



MY ANSWER: I don't mind at all. I guess because when I read books that can seem similar I can see the differences. I can't think of an example on the spot--typical--but like vampires. There are so many vampire books out there, yet they all tend to be different. Most other people--non paranormal readers--would say they're all the same.

But it has to be noticeably different. Copyright laws and all that. I don't want to read the same story but by someone else.

So short answer, no I don't mind. Because I can find the differences to them since they are different authors. Different author = different story.









24 comments:

  1. Jess! We think alike on this one. I don't mind either.

    New Follower via GFC

    here's my link (ignore it's strangeness, I messed up during the posting of it, lol):

    http://thatgirlreads.blogspot.com/2012/11/to-join-fun-and-make-new-book-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess!

    I don't mind similar concepts, but I'm not crazy about the same exact story being retold by someone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! As long as I enjoy the story, why should it matter?? Thanks for stopping by my FF earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice answer, very true! Unless it's practically a carbon copy of another book, most stories are pretty unique.
    Thanks for stopping by my FF :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES, this!! I totally agree.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my Friday Hop! Great answer and I agree that there can be so many retellings done in an interesting way. Old follower =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I completely agree that just because two books have vampires, doesn't mean they are similar enough to bug me. It's when they have vampires with the same type of strengths and weaknesses, and a main character with the same skills and the same plot premise that I grit my teeth! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following on GFC now too :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that ---> "different author= different story"
    Thanks for stopping by my FF, old GFC follower!
    My #FF
    ~Caitlin :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really mind either as long as each book has a unique voice.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. We almost have the same answer this time, Jessica! *thumbs up* :D

    Thanks for stopping by our F&FF post earlier.

    Old follower!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea, I don't mind either.

    old follower
    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature-and-follow-25_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great answer. I don't as long as their is differences. Same concept differnet story. There are only so many story concepts out there. I don't like copy cats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Jessica. I somewhat agree, even little parts inspire other ideas that are similar.

    Old follower as well. (By different name)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I completely agree with you here :). I'm definitely stuck in my paranormal/ dystopia literature and I don't think it'll be changing any time soon.

    Thanks for stopping by my FF :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good answer. AS long as the different author is bringing a differemt story, I'm usually good with it.

    new follower. My FF:
    http://booksojourner.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature-follow-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the key is originality! Great answer.
    Old Follower!
    Kristen @OCA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I'm not that picky either :)

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/11/follow-friday_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great answer! I completely agree.

    Thanks for stopping by my FF

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree, an author will always take a used concept and make it different so I still enjoy reading similar books.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For me, I think the issue comes when they're EXACTLY the same. I don't mind reading about faes from different authors as long as they have their own story and world building. The only thing I don't like was when you read a book..it's like a deja vu.

    Thanks for droppin by my FF!
    Old follower.
    Michelle Shouts Random

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great answer! Just because they have the same subject doesn't mean they have the same plot or setting. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for stopping by my blog~ Good answer ;)

    Old follower
    Cindy @ http://bookaholicfaggots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by! I totally agree :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!