Aug 5, 2011

Review--Toxic by Eve Langlais

Either you’re with me, or you’ll feed me.

Humans are for eating and I am not one to play with my food, so I’m baffled as to why one geeky mortal doctor makes me wish our kind could be together without my brand of love being toxic. As if suffering from human emotions isn’t problem enough, our world is about to engage in a war where our chances of survival are slim at best. And no one wants to listen.

But, I didn’t become the general of the vampire Queen’s army by being diplomatic. Everyone will fight in the upcoming battle, or they’ll feed my troops and I. Either way, all things living will do their part.

I am after all the Blood Countess, toxic lover to humans, vicious bitch to my enemies, and my word is law.

Eve Langlais' Toxic was a quick read, yet still a good one! I suppose you would call it a novella because of its length. But still it was quite fascinating.

First I loved that our main character, Ellie, was once the Blood Countess Elizabeth Bathory! She is a very vicious character, yet there is some heart to her. She's a true vixen, yet she has a deadly curse, if she were to make love to a man, he would die, because she's fluid in her state of arousal.

The vampires are outing themselves to the public, but they have ulterior motives. The vampires know of a daemon apocalypse coming, daemons are slowly entering our world and killing humans. Vampires need humans for their blood source, so they need them alive. Thus why they want humans to know about them and that they aren't monsters--in a sense.

In part of that plan, Ellie must agree to an interview of sorts with Rafe, who is a doctor. He wants to study her and relate his findings to the public and help ease the tension humans may feel. Ellie has a strong attraction the doctor but she does everything in her power to fight it since it could mean his death. It doesn't help that the doctor likes her too.

It's hard to say much about this one since it was a quick read. Overall it was a good read. I will admit that I wasn't too big on the romance scenes that occurred, but that's just me not being a big romance fan. And the scenes were pretty intense to my delicate mind! :)

Ellie was a great character, snarky and dangerous. She's not a woman you want to be on her bad side with. Rafe is a very handsome fella with his own secrets. I sort of had an inkling as to what his secrets were, but I was still taken by surprise by their depths.

Overall rating 3/5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. I've always been morbidly fascinated by Elizabeth Bathory, so I think I should pick this one up just for kicks. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!