Jun 24, 2014

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/
Here are the rules:


1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc



"'You're the one,' he said. 'The reviver. It's true. But are you the only one?'


'I am the only one.'" Kindle location 49%*






*Quote comes from ARC edition, therefore it and its location may not be final.










TITLE: Dark Metropolis
AUTHOR: Jacyln Dolamore

PUBLISHER: Disney-Hyperion
GENRE: Dystopian YA
RELEASE DATE: June 17, 2014






Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.



This week's topic is: Ten Book Cover Trends I Like/Dislike


*in no particular order


Likes:
 1. Moons/Woods--are you surprised this is my example? For some reason these nighttime, woodsy covers with moons really get to me! Or maybe it was just this series' covers! I loved them soooo much!
2. Cartoony Covers--sometimes they can be hit or miss, but for the most part I love them! Especially on these paranormal cozy mysteries! They just look so appealing!
3. Kickass Heroine--and what better cover than a Kim Harrison one?! She was my first KA Heroine! And I really liked how For a Few Demons More turned out--COVER WISE!!!


4. Fire--yup, gotta love a cover with flames! Vlad's pretty nice next to them too!
5. Weapon Wielding Peeps--whether it's a heroine or hero, when they have their weapon of choice out, looking badass, it's pretty appealing! This is different from my kickass heroine one because that one doesn't require weapons and this one is specific to the hero/heroine's weapon of choice being pictured with them!


Dislikes:

6. Ravish Me Covers--yeah, not too much of a fan of the covers where the couple is all grabby-grab and half naked. Still totally LOVED reading this book though! Although it did require a hide-a-cover since I read it at my pt job and school and I did not need other people seeing this cover and getting the wrong idea!
7. Blah?--how to describe this one, I really liked the original hardcover of The Immortal Rules then this one came out and it was just so plain. There wasn't much to see other than these veins. It just lacks pizazz! Still an AWESOME read though!
8. Cartoony Gone Wrong--now I like a good cartoony cover, but sometimes they don't look so right. When the H&W Investigations series started, the covers were cartoony but the heroine just looked wrong. Her face looked kind of warped or something. Still a FAB series!


9. Nakedness for Naked Sake--now I have no problem with a shirtless guy on a cover, if there's something else going on! Like with Vlad up there, there's flames, he's turned to the side, there's a bat! There's just MORE to it! This guy, is just front and center, here's my chest. It's just boring. But again still a GREAT read!!!
10. Too Small Pictures--I joined the Fever scene late in the game, so I have the re-released mass market paperbacks. Mac is just so tiny. You don't really get a feel for the story in some ways. I don't know, I just wish the scene was bigger! But again, this is another INCREDIBLE series! Still need to read Iced too!






29 comments:

  1. Hmm, one reviver? Wonder what that's about. Good teaser.
    I agree with you about the book covers, especially the naked covers turn me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your teaser is very enticing, Jessica, I think I need to add Dark Metropolis to my TBR :)

    I agree with you about all the covers you mention. The Hollows covers are excellent, and you're right, they do show how badass Rachel is :)

    Thanks for stopping by earlier. Happy reading.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this sounds interesting. I wonder what a reviver is? Nice tease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! And I see what you... Some of those dislike covers are pretty yuck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I am also not a fan of half-naked men on book covers for no reason at all! They're just so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tease, Jessica. I hope you're enjoying Dark Metropolis! And I like your picks for likes/dislikes, too. I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with all of your dislikes! The Ravish Me covers I think I dislike the most though. Great list!

    - Elizabeth @ Book YAbber.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I totally agree with your dislike list- especially the nakedness for naked sake and the ravish me covers. Great teaser as well.

    My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally with you on the "ravish me" and "naked for the sake of naked" covers. Leave a little bit of mystery. I'm all about the covers with a bit of mystery! I also really like the cartoon covers though! Great list!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome tease and awesome blog. I love the colours i'm a sucker for purple. :) thanks for commenting on our blog earlier (opinionated cupcakes). Have a nice day :) Rinny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intriguing teaser and -- for the most part -- I agree with you on the cover trends, though the "ravishing" ones can be pretty hot/enticing when done right. My teaser: Clobbered by Camembert

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with your cover dislikes - I get so annoyed with people making out or being shirtless on the cover - I probably wouldn't even read a book with a cover like that! I liked the original Immortal Rules covers too - these don't really reflect the story.

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider Silk

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm wondering: What's a reviver? Curious.
    My Teaser is from NOT THE MARRYING KIND.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cover from your tease. I like the tease but don't know if I would read this. thanks for sharing!

    trish - my tease

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with most of these, Jessica. Especially nakedness for naked sake, and too small of images. Thanks for stopping by my post! :D Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list. I like the cartoonish cozy mystery covers, too. The cover of House Rules is nice too.

    Thanks for visiting The Book Connection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you on the ravish me covers, too. There's something about them that just screams EROTICA, which is not my style, so I tend to steer clear!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice tease! The Aussie covers for the Eternity Cure is better, I think.

    Thanx for visiting my TT

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally agree with you about nakedness - just a headless naked torso does nothing for me. LOL!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your cover picks and completely agree with them. The worst covers are the grabby couple ones! And that tease is interesting, I wonder exactly what ONE s/he is lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome teaser! I've been wanting to read Dark Metropolis for a while now, but it's gotten pushed to the back of my review pile!! I hope your enjoy in though! :)

    Here's my TT from RUIN AND RISING:

    http://addictreaders.blogspot.com/2014/06/teaser-tuesday-59-ruin-and-rising-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice teaser!

    Here's My Teaser

    Catarina
    @Reading and Things

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice teaser & I love your take on the cover likes/dislikes. I completely agree about The Eternity Cure. I much preferred the direction of the original The Immortal Rules cover.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the teaser, Jessica, Dark Metropolis is new to me and I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Got me curious.

    http://www.fundinmental.com/teaser-tuesday-14-zombies-run-amok/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh! Talk about a tease! That really caught my attention.

    Thanks for stopping by Vonnie's Reading Corner.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oo, I do like moon/woodsy covers, excellent point!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do love cartoony covers as well - it just makes me love the book even more!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!