Sep 27, 2017

Mini Review--The Maiden Thief by Melissa Marr

"The Maiden Thief" by Melissa Marr is a dark fantasy novelette about a teenager whose town is plagued by the annual disappearances of girls and young women. Her father blames her when one of her sisters is one of the taken.














The Maiden Thief is Melissa Marr’s version of the Blue Beard story and my, it was a fascinating one! It’s another short little read that I was quick to devour in my somewhat spooky read binge I have going on! Lol! I mean what could be creepier than Blue Beard? Though I admit, it’s been ages since I read the original. I may have to do that again eventually!

In Verena’s little village she’s noticed that young girls have gone missing every year. It always seems to happen on her birthday. Verena lives with her sisters and father after having lost her mother and brother to the sea. And then one day, Verena’s sister Amina is the next to be taken and Verena feels as if she’s to blame.

Verena remains close to her last sister, Amina. And it’s shortly thereafter that Amina has found herself a love. She sees him in secret and Verena is happy for her but when she believes Amina runs away with this new stranger she is left all alone and saddened. Knowing where this is going, we find that Amina was the next one to vanish while her lover, Jakob had no clue what had happened as he was traveling away. Soon he and Verena start a romance.

Even knowing the story of Blue Beard I still found this one to be enjoyable and exciting! It’s the perfect kind of read for Halloween because it’s just so super creepy! Again, my memory of the original tale isn’t so great, so I am not sure how many details were kept true and what ones were twisted a bit to fit the author’s liking, but regardless I felt like it did a good job of being unique and memorable! I especially enjoyed this one’s ending!

A nice quick little read that is, once again, perfect for Halloween!




Overall Rating 5/5 stars 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!