Sep 28, 2018

Let's Discuss: Cereal Commercials

I was watching TV and saw a commercial for Lucky Charms and the "new" (though not so new now!) unicorn marshmallows. Well, the way it was going, got me thinking...what is with these cereal commercials that show/tell kids it's okay to not share cereal?


Cereal Commercials



I mean when you look at any Lucky Charms commercial they show kids chasing Lucky, saying GET HIM! GET HIS LUCKY CHARMS! So sure, it goes back to the legends of Leprechauns and how if you catch one you get his pot of gold (if you're lucky, obviously, the mythology there can get sketchy and you might lose something you rather not). So here we have kids trying to STEAL cereal from Lucky. Cereal that didn't belong to them...how is that right?


Let's move on to Trix! Now I actually haven't seen a commercial for this one in awhile, but those have pretty much stayed the same after all these years. Though the cereal (as you can see) hasn't stayed the same. The poor little rabbit wants to eat some Trix cereal and the kids are all like NO! You can't have it! It's for kids! Even as a kid I felt like this was wrong. I mean share the freaking cereal! What's wrong with you? The cereal ad was basically teaching kids not to share your cereal. We'll ignore the whole fact of not wanting to share human cereal with rabbit because it was talking, walking rabbit to begin with! Clearly, he would've been fine to digest it!


With the old Cookie Crisp ones you had "burglars" trying to steal the cereal. So okay, that one might be not as bad. But it was cereal. They dude and his dog just wanted some cereal. Yeah, they're stealing and that's bad. But the trend seemed to continue when they were showing it with the wolf who is the current mascot.

Another commercial I haven't seen in awhile, but I feel like the wolf just wants some cereal as well and no one will freaking share it with him! What's the big deal about this? I mean seriously, even though it seems most of them haven't been on the air in awhile--with the exception of Lucky Charms--these cereal companies were basically telling kids not to share the cereal. It was usually with a talking animal, but the point remains the same. Don't share your cereal.

I feel like this is just wrong on so many levels. Perhaps the cereal companies finally realized this too because honestly I feel like I only see commercials for Lucky Charms, Cheerios, and Frost Flakes. I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial for any other cereal.

What do you guys think about these old commercials? Have you seen them? Did you ever think it was telling kids to not share their cereal?






2 comments:

  1. Not familiar with these cereals, but dear me, they sound very different from “Snap! Crackle! Pop! That’s the song we love to hear...” or “”Coco Pops! Just like a chocolate milkshake, only crunchy!”

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I never really thought about the overall messages that were being conveyed by these commercials. I can still remember jingles from many of the old cereal commercials, though.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!