Jul 10, 2022

Let's Discuss--Cover Revamps

 

So I was originally just going to make this a "lookie-look" post, but then I thought why not just turn it into a discussion post because I was going to briefly talk about the cover/book anyway! So let's get to it!


Cover Revamps


How do we feel about cover revamps? Not quite a "redo" where the paperback starts off a new look from the hardcover, where collectors now lament over their mismatching covers and the publisher doesn't republish the first book in hardcover with the new look to make it all matchy-match. That there was another discussion that I believe I had already because omg, why do they do that on the LAST book or even in the MIDDLE of the series?? It's just wrong!

But when I say "revamp" I mean a book that was out some years ago and comes back out as a new release, or anniversary edition in some cases? When it gets a new look! How do we feel about those? For me, I guess I would say, I don't mind, but I may not necessarily like the new look. I'm not opposed to it or anything...but I also tend to have nostalgia for the covers I originally had or grew up with. It's just my preference kind of thing.

I've had ARCs where the cover was spot on or just amazing...and then they change it to something totally lame and not at all in line with the story--that was yet another discussion I had once before with multiple examples! Lol.

But onto why we're here...I present to you the (Oh-my-god-how-am-I-so-old?!) 20th Anniversary edition of Marianne Curley's Old Magic, aka one of my ALL-TIME favorite reads!


It's actually not too bad! It's very much in-line with the original US cover (as Marianne is an Aussie and the book was released there first I believe). This time around it's an animated couple though versus cover models. Below was the original US cover:


Naturally, I do kind of like this one more. There's just more details to it. Plus without them being all touchy-wouchy on the new cover, you definitely get the vibe that theirs is not an insta-love story. It's totally not! I can still vividly remember my younger self strolling through Waldenbooks at the mall and pulling this one off the shelf, because COVER LOVE! 

I was reading the description in the aisle at the store:

Jarrod Thornton is mesmerizing, but Kate Warren doesn't know why.

The moment the new guy walks into the room, Kate senses something strange and intense about him. Something supernatural. Her instincts are proven correct a few minutes later when, bullied by his classmates, Jarrod unknowingly conjures up a freak thunderstorm "inside" their classroom.

Jarrod doesn't believe in the paranormal. When Kate tries to convince him that he has extraordinary powers that need to be harnessed, he only puts up with her "hocus pocus" notions because he finds her captivating. However, the dangerous, uncontrolled strengthening of his gift finally convinces Jarrod that he must take Kate's theories seriously. Together, they embark on a remarkable journey -- one which will unravel the mystery that has haunted Jarrod's family for generations and pit the teens against immense forces in a battle to undo the past and reshape the future.

 

Right at that highlighted mark was when I started walking myself to the registers! Lol! And yes, I was still reading the rest, I mastered the walk and read pretty quickly! This was my first time-traveling story and it wasn't my last either! It was the most perfect read for me! I can't remember how many times I read this one growing up, because yes, there was a dark time in the past when I didn't have enough "new-to-me" books to read and I would re-read old favorites! This was devoured many-a-time!

It even had another reprint back in 2009 which I also bought a copy of due to the symbolism being represented on the cover.

 

It's not too bad either. I mean, I'm just as captivated by books without people on them as I am with cover models.


So what how do you feel about cover revamps? Are you a fan? Do you tend to like the original more or the newer ones? Or do you like both?

Followup question: have you ever read this book? I know I've mentioned it a few times throughout the years on my blog! It's one I can't get enough of and I almost feel like I need to re-read it due to its momentous anniversary!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!