Apr 6, 2023

Books from the Backlog #25

 

Books from the Backlog is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your bookshelf unread.  If you are anything like me, you might be surprised by some of the unread books hiding in your stacks. This is a fun meme hosted by Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books.

 

This fanfic is based on The Vampire Diaries book series—also by L. J. Smith—and takes place after the volume Midnight.

Damon is back and enjoying his vampire existence to its fullest. Elena, Bonnie and their friends are in their third week at Dalcrest College, ordinary students aware of an extraordinary world that verges on their own campus.
Stefan is scarcely aware that he is living in a fragile paradise with Elena as his devoted girl . . . until one night it all shatters. He wakes from a dream to find Elena limp and white in his arms and rushes her to the hospital for a massive transfusion.

Elena survives, but Stefan decides that the only way she will ever truly be safe is without him. To make his exit complete, Stefan removes himself from the memories of Elena, her friends, and all of Fell’s Church.

Can first love ever really be forgotten? Will Damon finally have Elena by his side as his Princess of Darkness? The epic story begins in Evensong: Paradise Lost.

 

So I remember there was a LOT of controversy around The Vampire Diaries just a few years into my blogging gig! L.J. Smith had published SEQUELS to her original quartet but I believe it was after she wrote the first three books of the continuance she was fired from writing the rest. I honestly can't remember why, I'm sure I could dig around online and re-read the info, but it wasn't happy information. She basically wasn't allowed to write the story she wanted to write. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the show being on around the same time or not. But anyway, she wrote these last two books and labeled them as "fanfic" since I guess the publishers or someone else higher up technically owned her series. I pretty much quit the series once she stopped writing them, her name was still used in the beginning too and I didn't understand that either. All legalese I'm sure! But I did and do still want to read these "fanfics" of hers that she wrote to end the series her way. I assume it was the end, there are two books according to Goodreads...but I just checked and now I can't buy the second one anywhere apparently and the first one still has a page on Amazon, but is said to be unavailable. So now I don't know what I will do about this one. I hate going into a "series" so to speak and know that it will be unfinished. It's looking like I should've bought this one when it released 9 years ago, but it was honestly hard to find out about self-published work like this back then...and now come to think of it. 

Any chance anyone knows of a way I can get a copy?

 

 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!