May 8, 2023

The In & Out Book Tag

 

I saw this fun tag over at Captivated Reader and thought it sounded like fun, so here I am! Sadly, no image was found and I have zero tech skills (ever wonder why my blog design has yet to change after so many years?), so I'm just going with the Discussion Challenge pic since I'm counting it for a discussion! I'm not sure where the post originated, as I followed it back to a few blogs but no one seemed to cite a creator source.


READING THE LAST PAGE FIRST:

Out, I did this once or twice in my youth, was totally spoiled and ruined for the book so I vowed to never to do it again! Lol.


ENEMIES TO LOVERS:

In, love it.


DREAM SEQUENCES:

Out, I'm not totally against them but sometimes I feel like they don't always add to the story. When they do, they're great, or if they're foretelling something, I'm all for it! Basically need a reason for said dream to be on the page.


LOVE TRIANGLES:

Out, another one I have a love/hate relationship with. I need there to be a point to the love triangle. There needs to be legit reasons why both partners are preferred. The book I'm reading now is one where I am constantly going back and forth with, so it's a love triangle I can get behind! I have reasons why I love and hate both guys...so I don't feel as stressed out when reading "romantic" scenes in this one.


CRACKED SPINES:

Out, these are a nope! Yes, they looked loved and read...but so do spines with no cracks if you know me at all!


BACK TO MY SMALL TOWN:

In, sure? Nothing against this one. Usually there's a good reason to return home...even if something bad also awaits them.


NO PARAGRAPH BREAKS:

Out, so out. Give me some freaking paragraph breaks. When you're reading when you maybe "shouldn't" be, these are a lifesaver!


MULTI-GENERATIONAL SAGAS:

Out, again, not against them. Haven't really read any that seem to fit this one, but it just feels like it could get crowded with multiple generations involved.


MONSTERS ARE REGULAR PEOPLE:

In, have you met me?


RE-READING:

In, I might not do it a lot now, but I used to. A LOT!


ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE:

In, I feel like I have to say this because Illuminae was just freaking incredible! Lol. Not for it when it comes to cover art though.


DROP CAPS:

In, I like these! It gives the page a little flourish!


HAPPY ENDINGS:

In, honestly, I need a happy ending by the series finale. I can do with turmoil and cliffhangers throughout the series, but when that final THE END comes up, there better be a happily ever after!


PLOT POINTS THAT ONLY CONVERGE AT THE ENDING:

In, I mean, I'm not opposed to cliffhangers, but I like it if the story can feel complete, unless we're given that kind of "notice" that things might not wrap up in this installment, but there's a temporary relieve at the end of the book with more to come...I can deal with that!


DETAILED FANTASY SYSTEMS:

Out, I mean yes, I need details, but if it's going to be overly detailed with certain magic or governing systems...you're going to lose me somewhere.


CLASSIC FANTASY RACES:

In, yup. Make em classic, or juice em up! I don't mind either way!


UNRELIABLE NARRATORS:

In, I don't encounter them often, but I don't mind them either. Especially if they only become unreliable at the very end and then it's just WHOA!


EVIL PROTAGONISTS:

In, I love a good villain story!


THE CHOSEN ONE:

In, I'm not opposed to it, though sometimes it does get a little overdone.


WHEN THE PROTAGONIST DIES:

Out, sorry, I just don't like connecting with a character and then having them die. I know one trilogy people went bat*hit over it. I hated it, but it did make sense and I felt prepared for it by one blatantly obvious clue. But still, I prefer not to have my hero/heroine die after all we've been through together.


REALLY LONG CHAPTERS:

Out, again, when you read at times when maybe you shouldn't, short chapters are a blessing! ;)


FRENCH FLAPS:

In, another thing I don't have a massive opinion on. I guess not too many of my paperbacks have them. A few collecting editions ones yes, but not too many that I can actually read. Lol.


DECKLED EDGES:

Out, I mean I don't mind them, but I honestly don't care for them. All of sudden in my reading, the tiny pieces of paper start falling out, or there's a weird piece hanging off the edge. I had one once come with a folded over triangle piece on the inside that was an inch or two long. Not cool.


SIGNED COPIES BY THE AUTHOR:

In, always. Though I don't always care for the "stock" signed pages. I don't get why the publishers can't have the actual title page printed out ahead of time to send to the author. Or even a duplicate title page. I like the signature on the actual title page just because it makes it feel a little more special vs something that feels like an afterthought.

 

DOG-EARING PAGES:

Out, if anyone were to ever do this to my copies...oh...there would be hell to pay!

 

CHAPTER TITLES INSTEAD OF NUMBERS:

In, I think it's a nice touch after all the years of numbers...but I also sometimes like knowing how many chapters I've actually read. A chapter number with a chapter title is also a nice way to go!

 

 

 

 

 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!