Feb 5, 2024

Let's Discuss: When Authors Go Silent

 

It was as I was writing my Tuesday post that I thought of a good discussion topic, that is going to turn into me asking you for some advice, lol! Have you ever had an author you had a good author/reader-reviewer relationship with? Did that relationship ever suddenly go dark? I'm in the midst of that myself and it's been nearly 2 years since I've heard from this author and I am not sure how to approach the topic!


When Authors Go Silent


At least twice, maybe three times a year I would hear from one of my favorite indie authors as I was on her review team of sorts! She would check in to see if I would like to read and review her latest book which I pretty always did when it was of the paranormal variety! She occasionally had some contemporary ones that I did pass on, which she knew I was more the paranormal/fantasy reader, so it was no biggie!

Then Covid happened and things got a little slower, but I still heard from her in the beginning then it suddenly went silent. I might have reached out to her once about an indie author event that was trying to get underway and I just mentioned it to her to see if it would be something she'd like to participate in, as I believe it was the one I was trying to go to but it ended up getting canceled.

And I'm just like...what has happened? I follow her on social media as well and when I try going back to her posts, the last one I see is from 2022! Now I am realizing it's 2024 and I still have not heard from her or seen anything new!

I don't usually like to pry into authors' accounts/dms and whatnot nonstop badgering them about their next book and all that. But now I'm wondering, if it would be okay to send her an email? I mean it's already been sooo long and I am just like what is going on?

I've always respected bloggers' and authors' space. Like if they go quiet for awhile I figure they need a break from social media and the things that ail them. I don't like to pry or pester, but now I'm getting worried realizing that nearly 2 years have gone by since I've heard from one of my favorite authors and I am at wee bit of a loss as to what to do.


So my ask of you is, what would you do if you were in this situation? Should I just let the silence go by or would it be okay to send a friendly email just asking how they are doing and if they are still writing? A part of me is fearing the worst (like multiple levels of bad!) and I don't want to bring up any bad feelings for them or anything. I'm in a complete ball of misery and woe and worry and would just like to know...what would you do? Should I just send a friendly email...or should I just possibly let go?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!