Aug 13, 2013

Review--Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout

This is a stand alone novel that is an adult spin-off
of the Lux Series
You do not need to read a Lux book to read Obsession and vice versa.

He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For.

Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.

Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.

Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?


I guess it's only fitting that it took me too long to read this one as I did with the Lux series! But OMG I freaking loved Jennifer L. Armentrout's Obsession! Simply said, I am obsessed with it!!

What can be said that hasn't already been said? Not much, but let's take a shot at it!

Serena's best friend tells her a secret, that she saw her boyfriend, a son of the senator, and his brother turn into bright shiny lights! And then she is quickly killed in an explosion, but Serena's life basically becomes in danger because the "bad guys" just might want to silence her. Who are the bad guys? Who else but the government! 

Hunter, a total bad ass Arum is assigned to protect her until he's told otherwise basically. Hunter is not a fan of humans, but there is just something about Serena that intrigues him. He basically fights his desire for her with sarcasm and ass-hat-ery. Not a word, but it fits him perfectly! But he's a lovable ass! What makes it more fun is that Serena doesn't take his crap! She fights back with her own sarcasm and wit. When he tells her to do something, she ignores him.

Serena is a feisty wildcat to Hunter's arrogant assholeness but as I said, they work well together! I loved the dynamics between them too! And let's just say YAY for a short heroine!! I am practically the same height but can be closer to five-one with shoes and a good posture!

Seeing this side of the Arum is definitely a different experience! I wouldn't say that the Luxen are the bad ass bad guys, but this group of Luxen are definitely not nice. Which just goes to say that there are bad guys everywhere n both Luxen and Arum.

The romance between Hunter and Serena is definitely a gradual one, but there is TONS of sexual and romantic tension between the two! Like lots and LOTS! There is a definite insta-attraction, but no insta-love, so more yay there!

The pacing to this novel was tremendous! There's the need to protect Serena from early on, but then suddenly the game changes when the government decides to just kill Serena to make things easier. But Hunter is not game for that! In fact, he's pretty pissed by the idea! So the "bad guys" better run while they can!

Naturally I was stoped by the Daemon appearance! He and Hunter are much alike I think! And I like that! This book basically takes place after Opal and before Origin. There are hints to what we might see in Origin regarding one Project Eagle. There is hope that maybe Hunter and Serena might be there as well, but I am not sure. I really hope that this "stand alone" turns into more books because this was just a freaking awesome read!! Also, Hunter and Serena's problems are far from over, so I'd like to see how that all turns out for them as well!  

Serena and Hunter share a little bit of the same dynamics as Daemon and Kat but on more mature level--mature meaning adult, not necessarily mature being the opposite of immature.

There are two things I can say after reading this: More Hunter and Serena please! And bring on Origin! Truly, if you are a fan of the Lux books, I HIGHLY recommend this one! But I must say if you are a YA reader, be sure you're ready for more "lovin" scenes and language, I'd say that's about the only "strong" content to this one.

Obsession rocked!! I am definitely ready for more, no questions asked!


Overall Rating 5/5 stars



4 comments:

  1. I just knew you would love this book!! Whoo hoo!! I am so glad you picked it up! You are left with so much to talk about after this one huh? I want more of Hunter too.... I hope we get to see them again!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love JLA, so I seriously have to hurry & read this one! It sounds so amazing, and I love that you mentioned she's a short heroine, there is nothing wrong with us vertically challenged people :) It will be interesting to see if JLA writes any sequels or companion novels to this one, especially since she seems to have so many different series going at the moment!

    Amy @ The Reading Realm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven’t read Opal. I’m planning on reading it’s once Origin is released then I could read this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Okay, so I wasn't sure about this one. I read Obsidian and LOVED it, I just haven't had the time to continue on with the rest of the series... yet. I still want to. Anyway, so when I saw this one, I thought... nah. I just figured I would read the rest of the Lux series before ever thinking about this one. But I just keep hearing how awesome it is!! So now I'm thinking that I DEFINITELY need to add it to my TBR pile. Maybe still have the Lux series, but it definitely needs to be added. I don't want to miss out on this one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!