Apr 24, 2017

ARC Review--Violet Grenade by Victoria Scott

DOMINO: A runaway with blood on her hands.

CAIN: A silent boy about to explode.

MADAM KARINA: A woman who demands obedience.

WILSON: The one who will destroy them all.

When Madam Karina discovers Domino in an alleyway, she offers her a position inside her home for entertainers in secluded West Texas. Left with few alternatives and an agenda of her own, Domino accepts. It isn’t long before she is fighting her way up the ranks to gain the madam’s approval. But after suffering weeks of bullying and unearthing the madam’s secrets, Domino decides to leave. It’ll be harder than she thinks, though, because the madam doesn’t like to lose inventory. But then, Madam Karina doesn’t know about the person living inside Domino’s mind.

Madam Karina doesn’t know about Wilson.


I received this ARC from the publisher, via Netgalley, in exchange for a voluntary and honest review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

I’ve been a big fan of Victoria Scott ever since Dante first came onto the page! He was a fun kind of hero, who’s a bit bad and yet still lovable! Violet Grenade almost seems like it wouldn’t be my type of read, because where’s the paranormal? Where’s the fantasy? Where are the chills that thrillers so often pull from me? Well, in a way this book sort of works as a thriller in some sense, but not in the way you would usually think. All I can say is that I loved it!
Violet Grenade is a very dark kind of book, let me warn you, in case that isn’t your thing. It’s dark. Very dark. But it is still YA, so it’s not all slash and guts or anything! Domino is a runaway, she’s been on the streets for a few years now having escaped a life she longs to forget. Its past that’s too dark for her even to try to remember. Even if she wanted to, she couldn’t, because she also has Wilson living in her head. Yup, you heard right! Wilson is Domino’s protector you could say. He shields her from all the bad things that happen so she doesn’t have to remember them all and he was also there when she had to live through them, but that comes about later on.
When Domino’s friend is arrested, she’s determined to pay his bail, but how’s a homeless girl without a high school diploma supposed to get a job. Those required background checks and social security numbers and since Domino ran away, she doesn’t want to be found again. Then in walks Madam Karina. An older woman with flare. She sees potential in Domino and offers her a job at her house, in her establishment. She would be able to make money and help out her friend. Domino is very artistically talented and it’s what drew Madam Karina’s eye to begin with. Seeing no other option, Domino agrees.
Here is where things start to get a little bit darker. Madam Karina runs a particular house. I wouldn’t call it one for prostitutes, though it’s pretty close. Here is a house filled with young women, girls like Domino, who entertain their customers in whatever way possible. With jokes, music, art, you name it. There’s a structure of hierarchy involved and Domino is bottom rung, but she soon will climb to the top. She will make the money she needs to help her friend and to help herself. What she wants most is a home of her own. But she’s soon going to learn that things aren’t always what they appear to be.
This book was dark. I don’t know if I’ve ever read a book that had this level of darkness. I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing either. I really enjoyed this book! I loved Domino’s character and how she was brave even without Wilson. She knows that her alter ego has a dark side and does terrible things. She tries to fight him on taking control even when she’s suffering at the hands of others who have no care for her being. The things that these girls did to Domino, that they would do to each other, is kind of sick. But I get it, despite all that. I just can’t believe that they would actually have camaraderie with one another when it seems everyone wants to become Top Girl.
I really liked the fact that despite the evil that was nearly all the girls, Domino is able to make friends with one, Poppet. Yeah, there are no ordinary names in this one, and I honestly liked that too! Poppet is sort of the simple girl, yet she’s the only one who shares a lick of kindness to Domino and is very genuine. Then there’s Cain, he works at the house too, but more as a serving boy instead of entertainer. He too has a dark past and it seems only warranted that he and Domino are drawn to one another. The romance was very subtle and hardly there, which I felt like was the right move for this particular story. Besides it makes those few small moments even more powerful.
The ending to this one was absolutely freaking perfect! I loved how explosive it was! And though the very end leaves a few things left unsaid, you can pretty much imagine what might happen next in those areas. While I would’ve loved to know what truly happens, I feel fine with the way things ended here. Violet Grenade is truly one of a kind! It’s one of the most exciting reads I’ve read this year and is sure to end up on my favorites list for the year too! This is one read you won’t want to miss!

Overall Rating 5/5 stars

Violet Grenade releases May 2, 2017




 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this definitely sounds like a really dark and intense book! I really like the color of the cover, it's pretty :) I'm glad you loved this book! Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to be disappointed by Victoria Scott and I cannot wait to dive into this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!