Apr 14, 2017

Discussion Post Challenge: Bad Reviews: To Read or Not to Read?

I was inspired by The Butterfly Reader's recent post on  reviews and if they effect what you read. And it got me thinking about other kinds of reviews do you avoid reading?

Bad Reviews: To Read or Not to Read?

The dreaded bad review. We all hate to write them. Especially if we were really looking forward to reading said book. But what about when it comes to you as the reader? Do you read all the reviews for a book you want to read? Both good and bad?

If there's a book I am sort of curious about but it hasn't made its way onto my "shopping" list I will read both good and negative reviews. I want all the criticism on it, be it good or bad. I truly want to know what everyone was thinking! I rely on other bloggers just as much as I may be relied on. Because there's a looooot of books in my room that need to be read. I need to know if this ONE book I can't make up my mind on or not needs to join them! Lol!

So yes, I will read the good and 5 star reviews and I will read the not so great and 3 and below star reviews. I find it helpful sometimes, I say sometimes because trust me, it's happened before where the reviews are divided right down the middle! Lol.

So what do you guys think? Will you read a bad review for a book you want to read, but are still thinking about? This does bring up another topic which I will be moving onto tomorrow about reading reviews for the books you already know you want to read! 



 


7 comments:

  1. I'll read bad reviews - sometimes I thought the book was bad too and want to see what other people's critiques were, and more often than not, I just want to see both sides.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to read negative reviews too close to when I'm planning to read a book, but when I'm trying to decide whether or not to read something, I definitely read them!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always read bad reviews. I almost never write bad reviews, because if I'm not liking a book, I don't finish it. But I like reading bad reviews of books I'm interested because I want to see why the reviewer didn't like it. Maybe it's something that won't bother to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I definitely plan to read a book, I avoid all reviews of the big until I'm done. Unless I DNR a book; I'll read a sampling of reviews first to see if there might be something coming up that makes the book worth finishing. If it is a book I just 'might' read, I'll read a sampling of reviews, both good and bad, to help me decide if the book is for me. I do the same after I've made a rough draft of my review, to see if there are any triggers reminding me of something I meant to say in my review, but forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely read bad reviews, but I take them all with a grain of salt. I mainly use them to scout for things I know I generally really dislike, to determine whether I should bother giving a book a shot or not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read bad reviews and good reviews but I usually find myself reading the bad ones more. I don't know why but I do lol
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read bad and good reviews, it's lovely to read people gushing about a book I loved, and I enjoy the snark in a weird way when I didn't like a book and find people who agreed with me! I don't find they make me not want to read a book I'm dying to get my hands on, nor do they change my mind about a series I didn't enjoy, although they can push me off the fence if I'm umm-ing and aah-ing about whether to chance a random book.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!