Aug 23, 2023

Let's Dicuss: Choosing the Next Read

 

I know, you're thinking what the heck has happened to Jessica this week! Lol! I was just wrapping up the last post when I thought, hey, that's good enough discussion! Let's go with that next!


Choosing the Next Read


I probably brought this topic up once before but after attempting a search I couldn't find anything. Mostly because I need a lot of words and who knows what kind of order I used for it! Lol.

But I wondered, how do you decide what to read next? Do you still have a pile of books to review from the publisher that you arrange your reading queue around that? Do you just read books you buy for yourself?

I've got a mix of the two. Currently I'm reading one ARC from the publisher and I have 2 more ARCs I need to read as well, but lately I have been trying to stick with my own TBR pile and the books I've bought for myself. Accepting an ARC nowadays is a special treat! It has to be something I am wicked excited about and cannot wait to read or a book I might be curious but maybe a little hesitant about and thought okay, this is a good way to try it out! But even then that curiosity has to be strong for me to accept the ARC.

If I told my younger self this at the beginning of the blog, she would've laughed and called me crazy! Lol. Part of me still thinks I might be but since I'm not nearly as fast at reading as I once was, that also factors in.

But anyway, when it comes to "lining up my reading queue" I tend to go about it in bizarre ways. I try to make sure I am still on schedule with the ARCs to be read and so far I am! Right now everything is in November, but since I am a slower reader I have been trying to put a TBR book in between the ARCs so that there's still content on the blog.

But when it comes to the actual picking I have TBR jars I can use that will do the deciding for me. I have my "general" jar, a jar for the books I really want to read ASAP, and a jar for thrillers and spooky reads. Since we're getting closer to the spooky season I decided I wanted to read one of those recently. I wanted a newer one so I could decide if it was worthy of being my pick for my Halloween giveaway. So that is how I ended up on The Lake House!

Other times I might feel like I know what I want to read without having any obligations going on in between! Other times I'll be more like okay I have to get this book read before this event, so I make sure to have that time dedicated to that book. Like at the beginning of October I am liking going to be re-reading (you're SHOCKED! I know!) Once Upon a Broken Heart and The Ballad of Never After to lead myself into the finale later that month!

So my deciding what to read next is a bit all over the place. My fallback is always just choosing something from one of my numerous TBR jars if there's no review books to prioritize, other times I know what I want to read and just have to find it. Literally. The TBR books have ZERO organization. I probably ought to fix that one of these days! Lol.


How do you decide what to read next? Do you choose a book at random? Do you have something of a plan in your head? 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!