Oct 21, 2011

ARC Review--Who Do, Voodoo by Rochelle Staab

ROCHELLE STAAB'S FIRST NOVEL IN HER THRILLING NEW SERIES FEATURES NO-NONSENSE LIZ COOPER. A PSYCHOLOGIST FORCED TO EMBRACE THE OCCULT TO CLEAR HER BEST FRIEND OF MURDER...

When Liz Cooper's friend Robin Bloom finds an unusual tarot card tacked to her front door, Liz writes it off as a prank. Robin refuses to ignore the omen--her late husband drew the same card, the Three of Swords, in a reading the night before he was killed in a car accident. As more cards and darker threats appear, Liz realizes someone very dangerous is upping the ante...

Liz turns to her brother's ex-college roommate, occult expert Nick Garfield. As Nick leads her into the voodoo community to locate the origin of the deck, she can't ignore their attraction to each other. Then, a woman is found murdered and Robin becomes the prime suspect. Determined to clear her friend, Liz teams with Nick to unravel otherworldly secrets and seek help from beyond--or risk being outwitted by a cunning killer...

I received this ARC from Goodreads in a First Reads Contest

I was stoked when I got an email saying I won a Goodreads contest! I'd never one of those before and to my astonishment it was for Rochelle Staab's Who Do, Voodoo? I learned about this book at Bouchercon last month and thought it sounded pretty interesting so I entered the contest on a whim! So glad that happened! Who Do, Voodoo was a very exciting mystery.

This normally isn't my kind of read, but I do love a good mystery--probably from my Scooby Doo days--mixed with something supernatural. And Voodoo is extremely interesting! And scary! This was a good mystery with Voodoo mixed in. There's also contact with spirits and a curse that leads to death! So there were quite a few surprises for me when reading! Wasn't really expecting them either!

When Liz's best friend is accused of murdering her boss's girlfriend, Liz is convinced that she's innocent and will do anything to prove it. The BOC makes it slightly confusing with the words "ex-college roommate", to my "ex" always seems kind of negative, but in this matter it really just means old or past. So Liz teams up with Nick to learn about the Tarot cards and about Voodoo and Vodou--there is a difference--in order to clear Robin's name. Along the way, sparks fly between them!

There's quite a bit of unknown danger too! We have mystical powers about (Voodoo) and there's a killer on the loose. Another problem is Liz's ex-husband (see, ex again. More negative and this time it's warranted), he was a cheater yet he still claims to love Liz. It doesn't help that Liz's mother is still buddies with him. This so annoyed me, but getting that kind of emotion out of me was brilliant! Loved that Liz wasn't afraid to speak her mind about that matter either!

Surprisingly Liz isn't our 20-something year old heroine. She's more in her 30s. Even though I'm in my 20s I still enjoy reading about a heroine who's in her 30s. Seems like a lot of heroines today have to be under 30 for some reason. Either way I'm a happy reader! Age doesn't really matter to me when reading!

The pacing was extraordinary too! Did I mention I read this in 1 day? That's how incredible it was! I love a good mystery. I was constantly trying to figure out the who-done-it! And one of my suspects did pan out to be the bad guy too! Of course I still had like 3 I was juggling with!!

Overall rating 4/5 stars

Stick around too, I'm in the middle of talking with one of the publicity assistants at Berkley/NAL Penguin Group and I will be having a contest of some sort soon! Just trying to work out the final details.

Who Do, Voodoo releases November 1, 2011



2 comments:

  1. I just love the cover of this book!! It is added to my TBR pile!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds kind of interesting. I'm starting to read more Cozy mysteries these days I may just check it out. Thanks, Jessica for a fine review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!