Oct 6, 2011

Review--If I Die by Rachel Vincent

NO ONE WANTS TO BE THIS TEACHER'S PET...

The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies.

But the next scream might be for Kaylee.

Yeah—it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck…before he discovers they aren't quite human, either.

But Kaylee's borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life.

Anything.

I truly do not know how Rachel does it! Every single time she blows me away with her Soul Screamers books. I never know what to expect and every time I am shocked beyond all recognition! And If I Die was absolutely fabulous! Not only did I like the change of words, for my scatter brain tends to get them out of order at times, but the title is soooooo fitting for the storyline!

As the BOC tells it, Kaylee is going to die soon....very soon! Like less than a week soon! And yet she knows her math teacher, Mr. Beck isn't human. She just doesn't know what he is. What she does know is that all the girls in class thinks he's dreamy! Surprisingly she turns to Sabine for help, since Sabine is like her--not totally human--and is immune to his dreamy charms. Together, Kaylee hopes, they can figure out what he is before Kaylee's time runs out. She won't be able to rest in peace until she knows Emma will be safe as well as the rest of the female student body.

There's a lot of chaos in paradise for Kaylee and Nash, I don't want to get into details, so I really need to stop typing as all the events swirl in my head. But with Kaylee's impending death near, she's wants to do everything she wanted to do in life in the next 6 days. And the while the list may be long, she'd settle for the top picks. And you can kind of guess what that might mean.

Tod's still there and is his usual charming self! I love that reaper! He's my fave character besides Kaylee! And there's also another character, Lydia who we meet! I remember Rachel mentioning this sometime ago, we first met Lydia in the prequel My Soul to Lose, and her role comes back into play again! Also the other prequel story, Reaper, also comes into play a bit as well. Those events are at least mentioned, so if you've read them you'll totally be in the know on the background history, if you haven't, never fear! You won't be lost or confused to what's happening! You can also read them for free on Rachel's website, click here to go to the page.

Really, there's not much more I can say without giving away spoilers, but once again this is my fave in the Soul Screamers series so far! The ending was fantastic! The pacing overall was incredible, I read the first 2 chapters yesterday and started reading the rest today and could NOT stop until I reached the end because things were getting so intense I couldn't wait til tomorrow to finish! Basically if I had started it today, it would've been a one day read! There's just so much anticipation and wonder going on because there's a time limit! I find that when novels have those it makes me devour them all the faster!

Basically if you've read the Soul Screamers series to date, and if you haven't go out and read the first 4 now!, the Soul Screamers Omnibus will be out November 22 and includes the prequel My Soul to Lose, plus the first 2 SS novels My Soul to Take and My Soul to Save!! But the wait is pretty long! What I am trying to say is do NOT wait to read this book any longer! I kick myself now for putting it off this past week! It was fantastic!! This is definitely a MUST read and probably in my Top 5 books of the year!

Overall rating 5/5 stars




3 comments:

  1. I kind of want to read this but I haven't readthe others. Will I be able to understand it? The teacher thing kind of freaks me out though.

    http://www.deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cover but I'm don't think I'm familiar with this series. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more with your review Jess! Until I read Shatter Me about 2 weeks ago this was my all time favourite book of 2011- which I found so surprising as I thought that the first two books were only "okay". And I admit, I think that I would have been pretty happy had this been the last book in the series! I think that everything wraps up nicely with it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!