Jan 2, 2015

MOVIE Review--Into the Woods

So I saw Into the Woods today! It was...interesting! I don't know if many of you know, but this was a musical revival! It was a musical like wayyy back in 1987, I remember watching the video like when I was in the 6th grade, so 2000...whoa, time warp! Basically, I remember enjoying the oddity and quirks of the first one, though trying to track that DVD down is pretty much impossible!

I liked how this version stayed true to the original, but yet was its own story. Granted, I'm working on a 14-15 year memory going on here! I can't remember precisely when I saw it, but yeah...over 10 years! There were moments I totally remembered. Some of the songs, the main one I Wish...! This movie had all that!

I loved how Red Riding Hood was the same as well. She's a snarky, smarmy little girl. "You talk to birds?" said disdainfully to Cinderella when she talks to birds!! That moment happened in the original too! Also a moment with the witch, in this case Meryl Streep, when she shouts "Whooooooooooo cares!" The original witch, Bernadette Peters, did this as well and her voice is much higher, so it was always funny when she shrilled her tune!

The story has a baker and his wife trying to lift a curse placed on him and his family, where they can basically never have children. A lot of fairy tales are there, Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk. All the characters are connected and it will definitely change the way you look at fairytales, Disney-ified ones and Grimm! I do like that the movie stuck with Grimm when it came to Cinderella. We're talking no fairy godmother, but a magical tree with her mother's spirit and yes, stepsisters who slice off toes and heels and get their eyes pecked out!

More of my memory came back to me as the story moved along and a particular detail popped up just moments before it happened! An event that kind of sets the course for the ending!

I was psyched when I knew Johnny Depp was going to be in it, because Johnny Depp! Playing the Big Bad Wolf no less, but sadly, his character wasn't in there much. I was reminded of his Sweeny Todd days and singing, so I definitely got a kick out of him singing again!

It was an enjoyable movie. Parts of it got a little slow, but it was one I enjoyed because I remembered watching the Broadway play on film. Which isn't necessary to see in order to enjoy the film obviously, a remake is a remake! Plus that film is a b*tch to find! LOL! My main reasons for wanting to see it was one, I remembered watching the original and two, Johnny Depp! Even if it was only 10-15 minutes of film time.



Overall Rating 3.5/5 stars






5 comments:

  1. I'm trying to decide whether to see it on the big screen or just wait until it comes out on DVD. Johnny Deoo would certainly be a reason for me to go too. Did Christopher Pine have more than 10-15 minutes? How was his performance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I totally thought of Sweeney Todd when Depp started singing! I was obsessed with that musical back in the day!

    I haven't seen the original but I really liked Disneys version. I heard the original wS even darker, so ill have to find a way to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it a few nights ago, but I'd never seen a stage production of it. I liked it, but it's definitely not my favorite movie. The scene with the princes in the waterfall... that had me laughing.

    I was kind of feeling the false ending, so I laughed when so many people in the theater started to shift around and get up to leave.

    Erin @ The Hardcover Lover

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Johnny Depp doesn't have much screen time? That's disappointing :-(
    Great review, still looking forward to this one!

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s really disappointing to have Johnny Depp on screen for only a few minutes. Anyway, it’s great to know that you’ve enjoyed the movie. I commend you for your just comparisons between the theater play and the movie, as well as your appreciation to the twists of the stories. I do hope you’ll be able to watch other movies that’s as interesting and as fun as that movie. Thanks for sharing!

    Simon Walker @ The Viewlorium

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!