Dec 19, 2015

DNF Review--Queen Song by Victoria Aveyard

In this 55-page prequel novella set in the Red Queen world, Queen Coriane, first wife of King Tiberias, keeps a secret diary—how else can she ensure that no one at the palace will use her thoughts against her? Coriane recounts her heady courtship with the crown prince, the birth of a new prince, Cal, and the potentially deadly challenges that lay ahead for her in royal life.











While I enjoyed Victoria Aveyard's Red Queen, I sadly could not get into Queen Song whatsoever. It's a prequel novella that basically allows us to see what Coriane, King Tiberias's first wife and Cal's mother was like before she had Cal.

I'm not sure what the problem was. Perhaps, I struggled to connect with Coriane since she wasn't a character I knew well at all. I only managed to read about a chapter and a half before I finally just gave up with the novella. I suppose you could say it was the pacing that threw me off the most. It dragged. It didn't really have anything exciting going on or leading into something exciting that I was aware of.

Coriane did have it tough. Some relative or mentor she had was a total evil witch to her. I did sympathize for the poor girl. But it became to the point where I was just reading to try to finish it. And I still had quite awhile to go and even for a novella, that's too long. When you find yourself not enjoying the story at all? Why spend time reading something you aren't enjoying?

While I enjoyed Red Queen and will continue the series, I'm afraid this prequel set of novellas just isn't doing anything for me.


No rating as it was a DNF read.




5 comments:

  1. would have been nice to know more about Coriane but it's sad that you didn't enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't like this one! I haven't read Red Queen yet, but I have heard so many wonderful things about it, so it's definitely on my TBR. I'm not much of a novella reader in the first place, so I'll most likely stay away from this one when I finally do start the series. Thanks for the lovely review.

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo I don't think I've seen a DNF review from you! Thanks for your honesty, I forgot these novellas were even out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing I am not interested in Coriane's story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the first time I gave up on a book and didn't finish it. I tried to plug through, but it dragged and wasn't right for me. I still feel a twinge of guilt, but reading time is so precious. Thanks for the review and honest comments.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!