Jan 1, 2024

Let's Discuss: Authors Changing Genres

 

It's a brand new year which means time for a whole new set of challenges! Mostly some of the same challenges I enjoy participating in, so let's see how I tackle them this year!

For this first discussion I wanted to see what your opinion of when authors change genres is. Do you get excited for something new? Are you hesitant?


Authors Changing Genres


Let's look at it this way: what do you do when a favorite author of one genre, decides to write in another? Do you follow them because you love their work or are you hesitant because you're not sure of the genre itself? Even if it's one you enjoy or if it's one you don't enjoy.

For me, it would honestly depend of the genre, if I were to follow the author there. If it's one I don't care for, like contemporary, I can't say I'd pick up the book even if I loved the author's previous work. It's nog t a slam against them or their story...it's just knowing what I like and don't like. So let's say Stephanie Garber decided to write a straight up contemporary book. As much as I love her fantasy reads, I can't say I would pick that one up.

But let's look at the reverse now, shall we? What do you do if an author you know by name who writes in a genre you don't read suddenly decides to write a book that is in your favorite genre. Do you pick it up (if the story sounds interesting enough)? Or would you be hesitant to pick it up because it's that author's first dabbling in your favorite genre?

For example, my current read. I've heard Ali Hazelwood's name enough to know that she writes contemporary romance novels that are well received. But if you know me, I don't read contemporary reads. They're just not my thing. But her newest novel is a paranormal romance! I mean it's a vampire and werewolf forced into an arranged marriage...which you just know will spawn real feelings! When offered a review copy I pretty much just said yes right away as the book was already catching my eye! I love a nice illustrated cover, especially with paranormally goodness!

As of writing this post, I'm not too far into it, but it's holding my interest so far! I like a quirky paranormal read every now and then!

What about you? Do you follow your favorite authors no matter what genre they write? Do you give an author who usually writes a genre you don't read a chance when they write a novel that is in your genre?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!