Jan 3, 2024

Let's Discuss: Ignorance is Bliss

 

Another discussion idea popped in my head late Sunday night and I thought, let's twist this into a bookish meaning as well! I'm off to a rockin start for the new year with discussions, but watch I'll probably take another month to get an idea.

 

Ignorance is Bliss


The poet Thomas Gray said the famous line that we still refer to even now, "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." I remember watching some interview series where some person I cannot remember for the life of me, talked about this in detail. And throughout my life after this, I became more aware of what this line means.

I mean sometimes it is better not to know things and be as well off. Granted, yes, we can argue knowledge is power, it's best to know what kind of situation you're walking into and a slew of other reasons where it's best to be knowledgeable.

But let's for instance look at it in terms of reading...isn't more fun to go into a book without knowing what will happen? Being totally unspoiled for the ending? Isn't that fun? Isn't being "ignorant" of a book's "spoilers" better?

I also like looking at it in terms of food! I mean when you go out to eat, do you really want to see the calories listed by all the items? I've been to a few restaurants where they list them and I know it's likely for dietary reasons. I get that...but at the same time if I'm eating out, I'm treating myself and I don't want to know how "bad" I'm being. In this sense, ignorance is also bliss!

What do you think about this phrase? Apply it to anything...what do you think of it? Do you agree? Do you think it's best to be totally knowledgeable about all things? Or perhaps is there a gray area where it's more enjoyable to be "ignorant?"







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!