Nov 15, 2013

Review--Wisdom by Amanda Hocking

Wisdom - the fourth book in the My Blood Approves series... 

For her eighteenth birthday, Alice Bonham takes a vacation to Australia only to have her trip cut short by an unexpected murder. While Alice tries to understand what happened, she regrets some of the choices she's made, especially the more permanent ones.











Wisdom is the fourth--and possibly last, since book 5 doesn't look like it will be released any time in the near future--book in Amanda Hocking's My Blood Approves series. Perhaps I am starting to get burned out on these reads for having read the last three all back to back, but I found myself not enjoying this one as much as I thought I would.

This time around Alice was on vacation with her brother, Milo, and Bobby in Australia visiting Peter, Mae and the newly made vampire child Daisy. Mae left the household taking Daisy with her and Peter followed for his own reasons as well. And wow, is that Daisy one demonic little child! It becomes clear that Ezra was right about a child being turned into a vampire is dangerous.

But she is quickly called back home because her best friend, Jane, has been murdered. There have been a few strings of murders happening and soon, Alice takes it upon herself to solve Jane's murder and find the killer and basically, kill him...or her. As Bobby, her reluctant sidekick points out, there's no saying if this killer is male or female, vampire or human. But Alice is beyond determine to find Jane's killer and end him or her, much to Jack's disapproval.

Leif is back in the picture again as well. The family has sort of befriended him, but they are still wary of him. He's also been acting pretty strange lately. And after awhile I was able to determine the why to that, so it wasn't too shocking when I was proven right, yay me!

But sadly, I just wasn't feeling this one. The pacing is the same lengthy kind that moves from one moment to the next and I felt it was pretty slow at times. I was kind of annoyed at times when Alice was referring to herself as being eighteen and blah, blah, blah. When in fact she's like seventeen and half. True, her birthday did pop up, but she seems to forget that's she a vampire. She died, she's now undead, you don't really get to be eighteen, just as she commented in previous books that her brother will always be sixteen, but looks like he's nineteen. Semantics and all that, I suppose, but it was something that really miffed me.

We do get quite a bit of answers in this one regarding things about Alice and Milo. Like reasons why they are so well adjusted to vampire life and why Alice's blood always calls to vampires. Another thing that wasn't too surprising once all the pieces fell together, but it was still a sort of surprising development in all its details.

As far as the romance goes, it seems like Jack and Alice will forever be having problems. Things are all nice for awhile, but then a crap storm comes upon them and things get extremely tense. Add in Peter--along with Mae and Daisy--returning back to the house and things get really intense. I get Jack's jealousy and anger,  but you would think for someone who turned at 24 to be a bit more mature than a teenager, but I digress. I still find myself more attuned to Peter, but Alice is profoundly in love with Jack, but loves Peter too, just not in that way. That too tends to bug me, when the heroine claims to love both guys and chooses to be with just one. I guess I've never found myself in that kind of situation, but I always feel like you don't love two people in that same way, I liked how another author settled it that her heroine loved two people, but couldn't live without one. Although, I still think if psychoanalyzed, you really, truly love only one person and the other one has a more obsolete kind of love. But I'll stop there, because this is yet another reason why I can't stand love triangles because they get on my nerves!

Overall, Wisdom was an okay read. The ending was decent, at least in this sense if it truly is the last book, there won't be any omg cliffhangers. A few ponderings and wonderings, but nothing that will keep me up at night! Should the final book ever do release, I will most likely read it too! Amanda definitely has an intriguing way of writing vampires, it's a way that's familiar, yet still shines--not sparkle ;) --with its own differences if the reader cares to look for them.


Overall Rating 3/5 stars


This read was read for the Clean Out Your E-Reader Challenge




1 comment:

  1. Great review! Sorry it just ok! I just read one that was just ok. I was hoping for more!

    Michelle
    Because Reading is better than real life

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!