Nov 26, 2013

Review--Soar by Alyssa Rose Ivy

In the city that never sleeps the Chronicles continue…

Serving coffee is temporary, just like Casey's year off from school. She’s going to come up with a plan to stay in New York City and go back to college, and that plan does not involve dating a paranormal creature—let alone two.

Running the supernatural society of New York is not as fun as it sounds, especially when you still have to answer to your ex-girlfriend’s fiancé. Toby doesn’t mean to bring Casey into the chaos of his life, but he can't resist the girl who makes him smile when he thought no one else ever could.

Jared's in New York checking out a security risk for his best friend, the king. He plans to return to New Orleans quickly, but not if it means losing his chance with the brunette who pretends she wants nothing to do with him.

In over her head with a bunch of winged creatures who most definitely are not angels, Casey has to figure out who to trust with her life and maybe her heart.


I was surprised with how much I fell in love with Alyssa Rose Ivy's Crescent Chronicles, so I was more than excited for Soar once I learned she would continue the story of this world through a different point of view. And from Toby, no less. Although, it's not told just through Toby's point of view, we also get Casey and Jared!! 3 in 1 and it was freaking amazing!

I wasn't much of a Toby fan in The Crescent Chronicles, although he did redeem himself in the end, naturally. Throughout Soar, I felt like we got to see a whole new side to Toby. True, he still did some pretty bad things in regards to Allie, but part of that had to do with who Allie was. Toby is quite the character and I found myself rooting for him more than Jared. And I freaking loved Jared in the first trilogy. Although, I had hoped he was going to fall for Allie's friend.

In Soar, the story kind of starts off at a slower pace, but still exciting in some ways. Casey is about to be introduced to the Petron world when she agrees to go out with Toby in order to escape a date that she didn't want from her boss at the coffee shop. Eric is kind of a jerk in ways and doesn't like accepting no for an answer, although he does seem to be into Casey.

Soon feelings and emotions develop between Casey and Toby. They have a sweet kind of romance, but once the Petron stuff comes into their relationship when Casey's life is threatened, she begins to see things differently. One part comes along with her realizing that Toby's ex that he mentioned in passing, is in fact the queen, Allie. But that doesn't stop Casey from befriending Allie, although it kind of puts a damper on things between her and Toby.

Then there's Jared. He wants Casey too and it starts to seem like a whole replay of Allie's life, but yet it's not. Jared was our resident playboy and the fact that he wants Casey and sees him having something more with her becomes endearing to me. For 3/4 of the novel, I was all for Casey choosing Toby but then that last 1/4 really got to me. I could see Jared being her "one". Of course now I am left befuddled with who she stands with on the cover, I had assumed Toby in the beginning, now I have no clue!

The ending was quite astonishing too! There was some buildup to why Casey was so special. There are a string of werewolf and bear attacks in the city, NYC, so yeah that's weird, which led to the Petrons investigating it. But soon the enemies start looking at Casey in a way that makes Toby and Jared both very unhappy.

Soar was a phenomenal read! Old characters return and new ones too! I was happy to see Allie and Levi and Owen again, Hailey too! The ending was freaking fantastic and it's going to create a whole new set of issues for Casey and her life. Plus the enemy is still at large, or perhaps it was a new enemy. I wasn't too clear on that, but that was mostly because my jaw was still dropping from a prior shocking moment!! I sooo cannot wait to read Search, book 2 in The Empire Chronicles and I can only hope Alyssa doesn't leave us hanging for long!


Overall Rating 5/5 stars


This read was read for the Clean Out Your E-Reader Challenge




    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!