Nov 13, 2013

Review--Fate by Amanda Hocking

Fate - the second installment in the My Blood Approves series...

Alice Bonham thinks she's finally found a balance in her life between the supernatural and real life with her brother Milo. Jack - her sorta vampire boyfriend - keeps her at arm's length to keep her safe. As for his brother Peter... she's not sure where he's at, or what he wants with her. Worse still, she's not even sure what she wants with Peter.

When tragedy happens, Alice finds herself struggling with a terrible choice. Her decision has consequences that reach farther than she'd ever imagined...






Contains some spoilers from My Blood Approves


Firstly noted, it has been years since I last read My Blood Approves! In fact, I don't even have a review of it up. It was during my first year of blogging, I believe, and things were off to a rocky start. Diving back into Amanda Hocking's world here was difficult. I couldn't remember much of anything, but luckily whatever important bits happened last time and impact this story were brought up in the beginning.

Fate was quite the read too! It starts off with an explosive start and not in any way you might be thinking. Milo, Alice's younger brother is injured and the only way to save him is for him to become a vampire. Alice makes the choice for him since he was near Death's door and soon her life changes entirely, considering it was her brother and not her, who made the transition to vampire. Jack made the change for Milo and needless to say it definitely puts a cramp into their relationship.

Although, calling what they have a relationship is another tricky matter. Since Alice learned she was meant for Peter, things between her and Jack are a bit strained. Jack keeps his distance mostly, but there are times he can be a charming boyfriend, but he stops before things get too physical. Now add in, Milo who is your basic baby vamp and needs caring and training constantly, there's not much room for romance in Jack's life and it affect Alice deeply.

Peter was absent for nearly the entire novel, he shows up at the end though. What I am struggling to remember is how Peter felt about Alice. Sure, her blood calls him to her and all that jazz that's mentioned, but since it's been years since I read the first book, I can't remember if it was a love triangle quality or not. It's definitely an odd love triangle though as both vampires are keeping their distance from Alice and Alice is left alone.

For most of the story, it was about Milo learning to be a vampire and Alice being left out because Milo was to "new" to vampirism and couldn't be trusted around her. And when she's finally allowed to be around him and they go out as group, she's attracted the attention of two other vampires who are "called" by her blood and for the remainder of the story, continue to be a thorn in her side. A dangerous thorn at that!

The book wasn't entirely a fast paced read, but it was still somewhat enjoyable. Not an overly loved one, but one that was definitely enjoyed. I guess the slow pace just led me to develop too many questions and then when the ending came I was left only mildly satisfied and again, having a few more questions. The main ones concern this love angle we got going on, as Alice is attracted to both vampires, but it seems Jack will be her choice...until Peter comes back into town.

My other complaint of course will be when I finish book 4, I will be left with more questions most likely as book 5 has nothing to provide other than a title. I have a feeling it was due to Amanda suddenly not being a self-published author anymore, I can only hope she will return to this series and finish it up to satisfy the reader within me!


Overall Rating 3.5/5 stars


This read was read for the Clean Out Your E-Reader Challenge



3 comments:

  1. This is new to me, but it does sound interesting. It's been a while since I've read anything with vampires, think I'll check this out. Hope the challenge is going well for you!

    Have you seen this week's mini challenge I'm hosting for the COYER challenge? It's book spine poetry, and there's also a giveaway to win a book from TBD, if you want to check it out here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, that COVER! Why must you always review books that have such cool covers? My TBR can't even handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on the fence about this one. Knowing that the series is incomplete makes me hesitant, since I really hate having unanswered questions and no idea when, if ever, they'll be answered. But I also do like the concept. I'll just have to put in on a watch list I think! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!