Jul 18, 2023

Let's Discuss: Summer Movies

 

It's summer! An incredibly horrible and hot summer! Here in the Midwest summer means months of high temperatures with a good dose of humidity! Ugh. But to me summer also always meant great new movies in theaters! Of course, I haven't even been to the movie since before Covid. I can't even remember what the last movie I saw was. I had so many plans for movies in 2020 but then Covid happened and yeah, there hasn't been a movie that I was dying to see in theaters. But for the first time since then there are movies I REALLY want to see!


Summer Movies


There was always something so special about the summer movie lineup! Hollywood always saved the best of the best for the summer! Of course with the writer's strike I'm kind of surprised they are still happening, but I guess because the movies were all essentially done before this, they're still going to release. I hope it's "okay" to still go see them in theaters as I do truly believe that these writers deserve better when it comes to their pay and benefits. It takes a helluva lot of people to make a movie happen.

Summer has always been the time for the EPIC movie releases! And you know what movie we can thank for that? JAWS! Jaws was one of the first blockbuster hits of summer that kind of spawned the idea for releasing incredible movies in the summer!

But moving on! First up that I am dying to see is Barbie!

Like any little girl, I played with Barbie dolls. I think even back then I was always creating bizarre stories that my dolls got involved in! This movie just looks so wild! She's a Barbie [girl] living in a Barbie World (and yes I FULLY expect to hear that song in the movie! I think I will cry if they don't.) and then is suddenly questioning the big things in life, like death? Then she ends up in the real world? I'm still a bit puzzled by some of these things like, her sudden humaness and what's up with not being a doll. I'm sure things will make more sense in the movie than what I see in the previews. But it just looks so funny! I love that there are so many Barbies and Kens and Will Farrell being in it! Eep!!


Naturally the next movie I am DYING to see (lol, irony!) is Haunted Mansion!
*When looking up the spelling of actor names I just saw that this one is called Haunted Mansion and the first one was THE Haunted Mansion! That's going to trip me up! Lol.


I remember wayyyyy back when the first The Haunted Mansion movie came out with Eddie Murphy I was a bit disappointed with it. Sure there were some nods to the ride and such, but the overall feeling of the movie just left me lacking anything. But this one!! From the few times I've caught the previews I am SO excited! Not only are we seeing more iconic ghosts, but the inside of the house itself so very much conveys the ride! Now, I know this one captures the Disneyland version more so than the Disney World one and I've never been to the former. From what I heard they're mostly the same, except Land has the Hatbox Ghost! He's in this one too! The stretching portraits are in it and I was SOOO excited to see that! The trippy hallways...omigosh this movie looks incredible! The cast is stellar too! Though quite a few are new to me but I am psyched to see Owen Wilson, Rosario Dawson, Danny DeVito, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Winona Ryder!!

Hopefully I can find time to see these movies this month or next! I'm probably going to be canceling my Disney+ subscription after this year as I find I am not watching it all that much these days. And I don't know how quickly this movie will get on there for subscribers instead of charging you extra for it. I get when they say "rent it digitally" for $20, families are getting an incredible deal! Because they are! But for the single gal I am getting ripped off! $20 to see a movie? Pass. I'll wait til I can own it for the same price...physically own it as I doubt I can access it if I cancel my subscription despite paying extra to "own" it. But that's a rant I am pretty sure I already had on here, so I will cut myself off now. Lol.

 

Those are the two movies I am itching to see this summer anyway! Are there any summer movies you're anxious to see this year?

 

 

 

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!