Sep 2, 2011

Review--Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Atticus O'Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old--when in actuality, he's twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fargarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he's hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power--plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish--to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Finally, finally got around to reading Hounded by Kevin Hearne. Had read some decent reviews of it a few months back and have the three books in my TBR pile. Today I finished Hounded, book 1 and it was pretty good,

Atticus is a very likeable character. He's kind of a smartass. But hey, what UF character isn't? I don't usually read whole books where there's a male narrator, it's just never come up. Sure there have been books when a guy narrates for part of the story, but not the whole thing. And this was pretty good like I said.

The hardest thing for me to overcome was the pronunciation of a lot of names. There is a glossary or key in the beginning of the book, but the names are Irish, from way back when, so it was a pain to keep going back and forth to read the "proper" pronunciation, so I didn't. I ended up just glazing over some of them or pronouncing them my old butchered way.

Besides that factoid, it was a good read. Very interesting and compelling. I didn't want to stop. Although another tiny tiny pet peeve I had was that the paragraphs ran long, so if I got sidetracked with another task--laundry--it made it hard to find my spot again or come to a quick pause and remember where I was. But that wasn't a major issue that bothered me, so no bigs!

One of my fave characters was pretty surprising to me, Oberon--he was Atticus's wolfhound/pet. Yet he and Atticus had a connection via mental link and were able to talk to one another, and Oberon is one funny canine! He's got the mind of a dog/canine and sees the simple pleasures in life. So he was quite enjoyable.

The storyline basically goes that Atticus has to protect Fragarch, the sword he owns that is a pretty powerful weapon. Enemies want it and will do anything to get it. It was hard keeping everyone on track, what I mean is that there a lot of characters to meet and it was hard to determine who was an enemy and who was a friend. More than one took me by surprise!

The ending wrapped up the story nicely, and it actually has a rather comical ending in the very last scene. There are few tiny loose-ends that will turn into plot threads for the next book likely which I will likely get to soon, but have other new releases that I want to read first!

Overall rating 3.5/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I've been wandering about this series too. It seems like a fresh, interesting addition to the UF genre. I haven't read that many books with male narrators either, which makes me even more curious about this one. And smartass characters are awesome - always fun!:))

    Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm going to give it a try soon too! (Hmmm...maybe I'll get the audiobook and see how that's all Irish names pronunciation going on.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear this is a good read! I've seen it around a lot, but haven't really checked into it. :) Glad you enjoyed it, for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Haven't heard of this one before, but it is now being added to my ever growing TBR pile! Thank you for sharing! :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very intrigued! I have a hard time with books that have strange names. I usually just make up new ones:) I'll have to check this book out though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!